Thread: Vet Question

I have taken my pup to a local vet here for his first two visits/vaccinations and I wanted to see what should be a legitimate price because I think I'm getting screwed on this deal. The first visit cost $140 for distemper/parvo, coronavirus, dewormer, heartgard pill, stool sample, and bordetellla. I was okay with that because it was the first visit and wanted to make sure everything was ok. The second visit cost $105 for DHLPP, coronavirus, dewormer, and interceptor.
    This is one of those hippie ass vets that has a chiropractor and dentist and they isist that I brush my dogs teeth 3 times a week and bathe him once a week. Granted, I'm new to the puppy deal but it seems a little outrageous. Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

I don't remember paying more than $40 for any of my dogs first three visits. I would say those prices are on the high end of the scale.

I agree with Curly...sounds very high to me!

my roomate works for a vet. Ill ask him about the prices for that sort of thing when he gets back in the room

Very high...

Did you get a kiss?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Hell a kiss, I should have gotten a reach around for that much. I can tell you one thing...It won't happen again. I knew something was up when they offered pet therapy services. There is some crazy stuff these days.

you got screwed...but you did get ONE great piece of advice.

The MAIN WAY to increase the lifespan of a dog is to clean his teeth. I'm not saying this cuz i'm in the 2th bidness. Its true. Amazing how many YEARS you can add to a dog's life by cleaning his teeth.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Why is that ToOFer? What is different between people and dawgs in that regard?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Those prices sound high, but it's been awhile since I had a pup. However, you can bet on my next one I won't have all those shots, especially lumped together. They put a lot of unnecessary stress on a pup's body all at once.

As for the dental and chiropractic services, I'm glad to see it finally happen. Dental care makes a big difference to dogs, just like with people. And I have to drive 100 miles round trip to take my wife's 10 year old Golden to a chiropractor in Spartanburg. You'd be amazed at the improvements that are evident every time he works on Mac. Don't knock it until you've tried it for a dog with a spinal problem.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Bansnake, that is just stupid. I took two pups for their first visit, for both of them it was 40$. At my old vet, the first visit for one was 70$. I know that's not bad, but the vet I use now is really good. She doesn't do it to get rich, she just really cares that much. Sometimes she gives out freebies on Frontline and Interceptor for pups. You may not find a vet that cheap, or good for that matter, but it should have been half the price.
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

Just got home from the vet and it was 52.00 for the second set of shots and exam.