Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Caribou Hunt

But the best time I had in Kavik was plunking ptarmigan with judo points. I found some Zesty Italian in Sue's fridge and a grill and made a feast one night. I think those birds taste better than bobwhites. I would have killed a bunch more but I was destroying my arrows on the rocks and I still had a caribou hunt that I hoped to go on.

Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 12-28-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I watched the episode of the reality TV show just the other day. it showed the lady from Kavik wipe out on the snow machine...looking forward to the rest of this thread.

So staying in Kavik for multiple days definitely wasn't planned but stuff like the ptarmigan was pretty cool. The other thing that was cool was getting to spend time talking to Jeff and several other hunters that were mostly Alaskans that hunt sheep once a year if they can. Of all the people I met, the one that was the most intriguing was a retired Marine fighter pilot who had just come from climbing Denali. He hunted sheep by himself up there each year and he was full of advice. At first, actually, he thought I was crazy since I was planning on going alone and was from SC. We became pretty good buds, though, and I think after a couple of days, he realized I knew what I was getting myself into. He invited me to come visit in Anchorage and shoot ducks out of his personal blinds any time. I heard from Jeff, after the hunt, that he chose not to go up into the mountains. He climbs Delani in 40 below, but he isn't going to get into a Super Cub in bad weather for a flight into the foggy crags. He had actually fallen and broken his collar bone one year when everything was covered in ice and he said waiting for a rescue was agonizing. Anyway...great guy and inspirational marine.

"hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Big Sue will stomp your ass for going into her fridge.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Big Sue will stomp your ass for going into her fridge.
    She's crusty.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post

Saaweeeeeettttt pants

You just complement a man in a hunting picture for his pants? Fags gunna faggot, yeti Brauh!
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    You just complement a man in a hunting picture for his pants? Fags gunna faggot, yeti Brauh!
    I just wasted a sip of Community coffee and a nip of my muffin on the laptop. LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Don't be such a camo snob, moondick.

Yeti, Brauh! Yeti
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

This thread is worse than my middle school girlfriend... Tease after tease, but I can't quit coming back.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'm just suprised to see how stripa has aged(maybe the scurf?), and that there is phone service in remote Alaska.
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 12-29-2015 at 08:36 AM.

I'm just suprised to see how stripa has aged(maybe the scurf?), and that there is phone service in remote Alaska.
    he's back hooks. The trip was in August.

So Wednesday was the day that the weather let up enough for Jeff to fly me out. We'd been talking about pros and cons of different areas given my stickbow "handicap" and also where he'd been seeing a few caribou. Beyond the weather challenges, the caribou hadn't really arrived in decent numbers within a hundred miles of any direction.

The flight to my area was pretty awesome. Flying through the Alaskan wilderness in a Super Cub to go hunting was definitely a bucket list item for me.

Rubberhead

These guys will land and take off with these rigs in places that boggle the mind. I've never had much of an interest in aviation, but if I lived in Alaska, I wouldn't be able to avoid wanting to fly Super Cubs.

Rubberhead

After getting dropped on that scree covered hill top I started glassing the draws and valleys in all directions looking for water sources, caribou, flat ground and other key features that might speak to a good camp site.

The rocks and tundra definitely made tent site selection a challenge but after a while, I had my spot in this valley about a mile down the hill from the drop off spot.

Rubberhead

So one little Alaskan wrinkle is that you cannot fly and shoot an animal on the same day. My original itinerary was to hunt Sun to Sun. Now it's Wed afternoon and I can't let an arrow fly until Thursday. Although we spotted a few small groups of bou on the flight in, I hadn't yet seen any bulls. Just cows and calves like this little guy.

After I got settled in, I figured I might as well head out and learn as much as I could. Look for bou, see how they use the area etc.... About 6pm I spotted my first bull. He wasn't huge, but I made my way in to about a hundred yards undetected and decided to get him on camera.

Link to video
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 12-29-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Rubberhead

You must not have read the article about electrical shock stimulating the breeding "Urge" of Ursus arctos....

Surprised Kruse didn't give you some breath mints before he left you..

Awesome story so far...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Cool so far, what bow looks Shaferish or maybe Morrison.. specs please.
    Genesis 9;2

Kifaru tent?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen