Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Alaska Caribou Hunt

I try to stay in decent shape so nothing outside of my normal workouts.

I saw a small amount of waterfowl and none close enough for identification.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Very cool.

I will bite on the 20 questions, what book? Micheners, "Alaska" by chance?
    Genesis 9;2

Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Absolutely amazing read! I shared this with my daughter and she enjoyed it every bit as much as I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    We have a plan in place for Armageddon . That is part of the Premium Membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen
    What kind of survival gear did you have? Water? Fire? Tourniquet? Fishing line?

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    What kind of survival gear did you have? Water? Fire? Tourniquet? Fishing line?

Just curious
    When you are going light, everything is really "survival" gear and you decide what little nice to haves you are going to try and make work.

I have a first aid kit with several extras like a big quick clot sponge and such. I took the required sat phone and a locator beacon for backup this year. Water filter and tabs. A few ways to make fire. Extra sil tarp, tyvek, and large trashbags...all of which can keep you dry and warm in a pinch. Finding water sources is first order of business when you get to your area. Thinking ahead all of the time about staying dry, hydrated, not cutting or burning yourself or trying to cross risky terrain that raises the chance of falling and getting hurt is the appropriate mindset when you are in the backcountry. Every now and then you get excited and focused on animals or getting back camp quickly in bad weather and do something that wakes you up to the danger of losing the primary focus that should be your own safety.

Rubberhead

Fantastic stuff...Thank you for sharing!
    I'm all excited reading to the wife and she's looking at me like, "Umm No..."
    Told her not to worry Right Now, because an "extreme" King Eider hunt is at the top of my list for now sleeping inside at night.
    I absolutely do not have the knowledge or experience to embark on a trip such as this. I'm plenty man enough to admit that, but I certainly hope to gain more experience and broaden my knowledge out west in the future. Perhaps one day, if comfortable in wisdom gathered, I'd venture to the Last Frontier on such a trip. Although, I think I'd carry a buddy with me. One that is a little meaty and I know I am faster than ya know.
    Thanks Stripa!

Very impressive, SS...

I applaud your sense of adventure.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Just re-read through this thread and it was equally as impressive the second time. What a trip!!!

I missed this being gone on a trip. Great read, thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com