Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Farm relief

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here but oh well. I love farmers, farming, corn, cotton, tractors, combines, etc just as much as the next guy, but it's a business. You are essentially bailing them out just like the feds did the auto industry (for different reasons, but it's still a bailout). Why? Are you also sponsoring a bill to to give some financial relief to the business that suffered structure damages due to flooding waters. How about relief for lost income for the days business had to be closed due to road closures and bridge outages? Farmers run a business. They can buy insurance for their corps like store front and warehouse businesses can buy liability or flood insurance for their buildings. Farming is the only industry in the USA where there is literally no way you can have a loss or show no profit. There are enough subsidies and bailouts that you could literally loose the farm and walk way better than you started . Bailing out farmers is not conservative and is a waste of tax dollars. You could take that money and put it towards our roads.
    You clearly don't understand crop insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    but yall can keep the government bailout $ and assistance. we don't need it.

scratchin and digging

kinda like people used to do when times got hard and shit hit the fan
    I'm on my second tank of gas since yesterday morning, scratchin and digging. Can't and won't quit though.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    You clearly don't understand crop insurance.
    What do you mean?? If you buy an insurance policy for crops it should cover you for anything that might happen to your crops, right!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    I'm on my second tank of gas since yesterday morning, scratchin and digging. Can't and won't quit though.
    you cant by wood from the couch? I thought all you need is and a dumb country boy accent and a cell phone
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

you cant by wood from the couch? I thought all you need is and a dumb country boy accent and a cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin View Post
    What do you mean?? If you buy an insurance policy for crops it should cover you for anything that might happen to your crops, right!?!?
    Not entirely. It's fairly complex with different types of coverage but the most you can insure is 75% of your average yield you have "proven" through FSA.

So new farmers who do not have proven yields have to use county averages.

Also 75% is obviously the most expensive and most crops were not insured to that level due to low commodity prices.

The 75% coverage does not fully cover the production costs of the insured crop.

Been raining a lot lately. I can't roof houses in the rain. I need a pic of me and all my roofers in the background.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

what about the landscapers and concrete guy?

pics too
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

What about the miners that have a flooded quarry that they can't get stone out of? With out that stone the roads don't get repaired.
    Guess I need to get all the guys and the equipment in a photo as well.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

get behind the timber industry too. its been a bad time for loggers, dealers, consultants, chemical applicators, fire managers, tree planters, mills, road builders...you name it.

paper products, pulp by products, residue, biomass, solid materials, osb, ply, lumber, etc...

scratching and digging to stay alive. cutting profit margins to ZERO to sustain and cover in a false and inflated market. many times paying to work...PAYING TO WORK!!!!
    Solid post Geno

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"

I think we can all agree that many different businesses and industries have been adverselyaffected by the floods to varying degrees. It seems shortsighted to single one out to benefit over the others.

get behind the timber industry too. its been a bad time for loggers, dealers, consultants, chemical applicators, fire managers, tree planters, mills, road builders...you name it.

paper products, pulp by products, residue, biomass, solid materials, osb, ply, lumber, etc...

scratching and digging to stay alive. cutting profit margins to ZERO to sustain and cover in a false and inflated market. many times paying to work...PAYING TO WORK!!!!
    It's our states biggest cash crop. We do not want our loggers to go out of business. They are going through the same thing the farmers are going through. I am worried about the next 2 months. We have cut most of our all weather wood.

I understand the "government should not pick winners." Yes even if 50% of the farms go under, we will still eat and land will be taken over and planted by large farmers.

The difference in farming and most every other business is 90% of a farmers income comes from a harvest that happens in a 30 day window. Most other businesses earn income year round.

I am from the Pee Dee. Our economy is devastated. Crop insurance will not come close to helping farmers break even.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    I'm sure DT will be along to help you Gbelly......... Not.
    When have I ever run from controversy?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I understand the "government should not pick winners." Yes even if 50% of the farms go under, we will still eat and land will be taken over and planted by large farmers.

The difference in farming and most every other business is 90% of a farmers income comes from a harvest that happens in a 30 day window. Most other businesses earn income year round.

I am from the Pee Dee. Our economy is devastated. Crop insurance will not come close to helping farmers break even.
    30 day window, huh? Explain that please. I see multiple crops being planted and being harvested at different times of the year.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 12-22-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Solid post!

Just like I said on the federal farm subsidies, welfare is welfare, don't matter what else you want to call it. Funny how so many on here bitch about welfare but when you say something about subsidies they jump down your throat. And yes, some members of my family get them too. I tell them they are on welfare also.

Course most of the dipshits on here think National Forests and National Parks are a good thing. Just proves they know nothing about The Constitution they supposedly love so much.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Hell...I must not be in the minority.

I agree. Our losses didn't just start in October. Dealing with quotas the months before the flood did not help any at all either. As stated above it's been day by day, working for nothing just to keep the wheels turning, and a headache on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I am worried about the next 2 months. We have cut most of our all weather wood.
    Well, you're not making me feel any better....geeze man...LOL, kinda, not really

There are small business disaster relief loans available that for some reason does not apply to farmers.

Businesses and private nonprofit organizations of any size may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. The SBA may increase a loan up to 20 percent of the total amount of disaster damage to real estate and/or leasehold improvements, as verified by the SBA, to make improvements that lessen the risk of property damage by future disasters of the same kind.

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible up to $40,000 to repair or replace disaster damaged or destroyed personal property.

Interest rates are as low as 4 percent for businesses and 2.625 percent for nonprofit organizations 1.875 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by the SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

There are also disaster loans for farmers:

Loan Limit
    Producers can borrow up to 100 percent of actual production or physical losses, to a maximum amount of $500,00

Loan Terms
    Loans for crop, livestock, and non-real estate losses are normally repaid within one to seven years, depending on the loan purpose, repayment ability and collateral available as loan security. In special circumstances, terms of up to 20 years may be authorized. Loans for physical losses to real estate are normally repaid within 30 years. In certain circumstances, repayment may be made over a maximum of 40 years.

Collateral is Required
    All emergency loans must be fully collateralized. The specic type of collateral may vary depending on the loan purpose, repayment ability and the individual circumstances of the applicant. If applicants cannot provide adequate collateral, their repayment ability may be considered as collateral to secure the loan. A first lien is required on property or products acquired, produced or refinanced with loan funds.