Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Sous Vide

Default Venison Sous Vide

Last edited by Gut_Pile; 12-16-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Won't the bag float in the cooler leaving one side more cooked than the other?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

usually vacuum sealed bags don't float, being that they have no air in them

For some reason, I feel like they do. Maybe I'm just thinking of frozen packages floating because of the ice build up.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

yeah mine will float right at the beginning when im thawing something out, but after a few minutes they sink

Well now I wanna try it. I just need one of those fancy thermometers.

Oooooooo weee... That looks right
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

So...the meat thermometer is to take the temp of the water, not the meat? Obviously the punctured bag would defeat this whole method.

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    So...the meat thermometer is to take the temp of the water, not the meat? Obviously the punctured bag would defeat this whole method.

Correct

https://sansaire.com

Here is a website showing some more recipes

Y'all think this could be done in a big pot on the stove top? Seems to me like a stove burner would do the same thing as that contraption gut_pile posted so long as the temp was monitored regularly.

Sigh....

A serious question, what is the difference tastewise between this and say a reverse sear? What taste qualities do I receive by doing this over another cooking style that still yields an internal temp of 125?

Foie, what say ye?
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-21-2015 at 12:34 PM.

There is a little, underrated, locally owned place in Myrtle Beach called "Collectors Cafe". They do this with their rack of lamb... and it may be the tastiest, most tender meat I have ever had. You have to go try it.

I have yet to attempt to replicate it because I know I would fall short of what they produce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Sous vide is not rocket science guys. It is really very simple with a little research. I have cooked lamb, short ribs, brisket and London broil a number of times. I will be doing some short ribs for Christmas and will try to take some pics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you go to a high end steak house and get a 2" thick filet that is perfectly medium rare throughout with a good sear on the outside, it was probably prepared sous vide. I've heard that some keep several sous vide tanks, one for each degree of done-ness. When you order a medium rare, they grab one from the medium rare tank, quickly sear it and send it to your table. With sous vide, if you keep the temp below what is "done" for a particular type of meat, it will only get more tender, not more done. If you overdo it, you can get a steak that is down right mushy but still pink.

I have an Anova sous vide heater mounted on a cube cooler. One of my favorites is baby backs. I cook them for 12 hours at 165 degrees and then coat them with dry rub and smoke them a couple hours over a cool fire. They are almost fall off the bone tender and most of the fat liquefies and pours off when I take them out of the sous vide bath.

It's still the work of satan.

If it wasn't called, "sous vide" but "boiled in a bag" instead, would you still like it?

Yes I would.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Still gonna be biased. Oh, and I'll never reverse sear a ribeye. That's just silly talk. If I can't throw a ribeye on the hot grill with some butter, salt, pepper, and be happy.. then I'll just be disappointed in myself, for myself.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-21-2015 at 08:55 PM.