Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Cooper / Century Aluminum Mess

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

It is a bit inconvenient, but seriously, who goes to an office to pay a bill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    It's only a matter of time before Duke gobbles both SCE&G and Santee up. SCE&G will be first.
    Damn. Guess I need to start looking for a new career.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Damn. Guess I need to start looking for a new career.
    Duke's a great company to work for...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Aren't Santee Cooper's power costs the cheapest in the country?
    Nope. Century is paying more than double of any other smelter in the country.
    80-20 Genaration

He who smelt it dealt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Duke's a great company to work for...
    So was ALCOA pre Belda...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Nope. Century is paying more than double of any other smelter in the country.
    Because most smelters build close to Hydro.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    So why are we going to let Santee Cooper, a state owned / subsidized utility, run off a company that pays $50 million alone in salaries? This is Santee Cooper's problem, not American aluminum as they tell us.

So - Is Santee Cooper the problem in Kentucky with the plant that is closing there?
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

The realness has entered the conversation...

Century is wanting to buy power from another provider and pay Santee Cooper $12 million a year to transmit it on an already existing infrastructure. Why can Santee Cooper not provide power at a competitive cost? This is not a Century Aluminum or aluminum industry problem. Santee Cooper is the problem.
    You could not be more wrong. Stop being emotional and start being informed.

Seems to me that Santee would be scared to loose such a customer. It doesn't surprise me that Santee does not want another company providing the power but it does surprise me that they are not willing to negotiate at some level that is mutually beneficial to both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    You could not be more wrong. Stop being emotional and start being informed.
    Inform me. I'm new to this situation. I can only speak to the plants and the cost to run them.

Seems to me that Santee would be scared to loose such a customer. It doesn't surprise me that Santee does not want another company providing the power but it does surprise me that they are not willing to negotiate at some level that is mutually beneficial to both parties.
    They have been wheeling out of state power to them for 3 years and have offered to continue doing so. They have saved Century / Alcoa $130 million over the past 3 years on power alone. That is approximately 95% of Century's payroll.
    Last edited by duckduckdog; 12-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Century posted a $56 million loss in 3rd quarter alone this year. The average salary for an employee at Century-Mt Holly??? Over 90k a year. It is not the responsibility of an electric provider to maintain profitability for a company that is poorly managed. Sales are down, production is down, but salaries are up. Century has closed a plant in WVA, and has all but closed the plant in KY. The loominum market is soft right now and has been for several years due to import pricing.

Power distribution is not as simple as putting it in a truck and delivering it to a consumer. The costs to maintain the facilities are increasing while someone else is making the profit. Kinda like having a girl that you have to do all the "boyfriend stuff" with, but then she leaves after dinner to go get pecker from someone else. Leaves you with dishes to wash and a dick in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Century posted a $56 million loss in 3rd quarter alone this year. The average salary for an employee at Century-Mt Holly??? Over 90k a year. It is not the responsibility of an electric provider to maintain profitability for a company that is poorly managed. Sales are down, production is down, but salaries are up. Century has closed a plant in WVA, and has all but closed the plant in KY. The loominum market is soft right now and has been for several years due to import pricing.

Power distribution is not as simple as putting it in a truck and delivering it to a consumer. The costs to maintain the facilities are increasing while someone else is making the profit. Kinda like having a girl that you have to do all the "boyfriend stuff" with, but then she leaves after dinner to go get pecker from someone else. Leaves you with dishes to wash and a dick in your hand.

BaBoom!

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    They have been wheeling out of state power to them for 3 years and have offered to continue doing so. They have saved Century / Alcoa $130 million over the past 3 years on power alone. That is approximately 95% of Century's payroll.
    They have saved them $130 million, if true, of overpriced, government subsidized power. If Santee Cooper cannot produce market rate power, why should we keep Santee Cooper.

They have saved them $130 million, if true, of overpriced, government subsidized power. If Santee Cooper cannot produce market rate power, why should we keep Santee Cooper.
    You're just a one trick pony aren't 'cha?

Same reason I can't get charter cable in my neighborhood. Sure charter services Summerville but not my hood. It's twc only. Sucks.

The location of century is a santee services area. Get someone else's power to them would not be easy. They would have to uses santee infrastructure which would open the door for a take over at a later date. Why??? They do it for one customer they have to do it for all major customers. Century needs to generate their own power like most large plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Sumter... Ohio, potato.. pototo...
    Don't even
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Same reason I can't get charter cable in my neighborhood. Sure charter services Summerville but not my hood. It's twc only. Sucks.

The location of century is a santee services area. Get someone else's power to them would not be easy. They would have to uses santee infrastructure which would open the door for a take over at a later date. Why??? They do it for one customer they have to do it for all major customers. Century needs to generate their own power like most large plants.
    If you believe the above, they have been getting someone else's power transmitted through Santee Cooper.