Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old sparkleberry swamp

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    This could be interesting, anyone remember Jim Rembert?
    that dude was following me around out west earlier this year.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I know all of his spots.
    In which state?
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Odd, that's my dad's name (also my name and my son's name) and he was one of the best bass fisherman and wingshots I have ever known. Bodie McDowell and dad grew up together and fished together often. Bodie once wrote in one of his articles that dad was the best bass fisherman he had ever fished with and he had fished with the best. And this is a man (Bodie) who has a hybrid bass named after him (Bodie Bass). Dad fished Santee a lot, his tales of wading and fly fishing the Hatchery were awesome. But dad was only a jump shooter when it came to ducks, he was a bird hunter at heart.
    One my best friends is Bodie's grandson (Logan McDowell). I have had the pleasure of fishing with Bodie and his son Mark McDowell on numerous occasions and hearing some of his stories from back in the day.
    "Fear God, Love your neighbor, and shoot ducks"

Killed my first duck in there in 1972. Hunted there a lot until the late 90's. I can remember going to Sparkleberry landing , which was dirt back then, and having to get out and open the gate and cut across the cow pasture to get to the landing.

Anyone remember the Game Warden back in the 70's early 80's that wore a cowboy hat and smoked cigars ? Use to see him around Hickory Top a lot.
    80-20 Genaration

Spinky Bryant could fish the swamp about as well as anyone back-in-the-day. Any of you remember Randy's "pool joint" out in the middle of nowhere around Summerton? E.M. Watt and what's-his-name (from Callen Drive) used to get on the ducks pretty good up there. I was just a little too young for the glory days, but was here soon enough to hunt some birds in Pocalla in the late 60's. There were actually wild BIRD coveys in those days, too. Lots of Mallards AND bass around the button bushes behind Persanti island back then..... the Bass Motel. Lewis Brown, Clyde Spigner, and Inky Davis were learning how to catch fish. There was a lot of corn and a good many fish baskets scattered around the lake.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by failed@usc View Post
    One my best friends is Bodie's grandson (Logan McDowell). I have had the pleasure of fishing with Bodie and his son Mark McDowell on numerous occasions and hearing some of his stories from back in the day.
    Cool. It's a small world.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I know all of his spots.
    That story is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

In the late 70's and early eighties, there was a group from Florence that had airboats. They are responsible for more than a few of those 55-gallon barrels hung in the trees. However, today, both hunting that high out of the water (SC Code of Laws 50-11-25) and using airboats (SC Code of Laws 50-21-860) in that swamp are illegal. Many of them worked for the railroad, not willing to put names out there, but they were well known. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

What no love for the Orangeburg and Manning crews?

How about Wayne Davis from Oburg ? Haven't seen or heard from him in years.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Nother blast from the past. There were, and still are, some duck killing machines who cut their teeth in these swamps.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Nother blast from the past. There were, and still are, some duck killing machines who cut their teeth in these swamps.
    You need to write a book and call it legends of the swamp.
    80-20 Genaration

Wayne ran the old Orangeburg National Bank branch in Orangeburg. They were a client and I would sit in his office for hours and talk duck hunting. It became First Citizens several years ago and I haven't seen Wayne since. If he's not retired I'm sure he is still there. He had some great stories.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

You need to write a book and call it legends of the swamp.
    There is no statute of limitation on game law violations...

Wayne Davis blew a good call. I'm sure he killed a few ducks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-11-2015 at 07:40 AM.

One of the first times I hunted the swamp, we got to the landing at daylight. The landing was just a place where you unloaded your boat from the edge of the water. No ramp back then. We stood there and watched flock after flock of mallards pour across the sky. Thousands of big ducks!!! That was maybe January 1977.

Wayne still lives on the lake, see his brother just about every day his name is will. A friends of mine and I just about flunked out of school back in the day because there were so many mallards in the swamp. Our parents were ready to kill us we cut school a bunch back then, had the duck fever bad. Those were the days.

As a young kid I loved the lake and the swamp. When we moved to FL I always missed it. Im not old enough to get to see the hay day but the swamp as always been a special place. I'd love to hear some of the stories of the old timers.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

Another tib-bit. At the landing, the calls around everybody's necks were Jack Lundy's, Bill Grant's, Greg Herlong's, Yentsen's, Chick Major's, and Herb Parson's. Lanyards were full of bands.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcallmaker View Post
    Another tib-bit. At the landing, the calls around everybody's necks were Jack Lundy's, Bill Grant's, Greg Herlong's, Yentsen's, Chick Major's, and Herb Parson's. Lanyards were full of bands.
    Yentsen's and Faulks in my family
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands