Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Old sparkleberry swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    What ever happened to Randy Horne?

When I was 25(38 yrs ago) Billy Goff won just about every tournament on Santee. I think he fished with a pro named Paul Chambelee a lot as well.

Scotty Scott is another good fisherman that comes to mind.
    Randy died a long while back, he used to fish with Hank Parker all the time, Hank said Randy was the best bass fisherman he knew.

I remember him from duck hunting way up in the swamp. He was a good hunter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    You, John Pack and I go to Arkansas every year. He was supposed to go to Canada this year with the group but something came up.
    yall headed out this year? i leave on dec. 10th. my dad has a camper right beside pack at angels. may see if pack wants to go with us in january.have i met you before CD?

Quote Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
    yeah he is a character

knows how to fish too
    so , you have heard him say "HAY BO " BEFORE TO THEN. he is a good one for sure!!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Deep View Post
    Yes Billy Goff
    Odd, that's my dad's name (also my name and my son's name) and he was one of the best bass fisherman and wingshots I have ever known. Bodie McDowell and dad grew up together and fished together often. Bodie once wrote in one of his articles that dad was the best bass fisherman he had ever fished with and he had fished with the best. And this is a man (Bodie) who has a hybrid bass named after him (Bodie Bass). Dad fished Santee a lot, his tales of wading and fly fishing the Hatchery were awesome. But dad was only a jump shooter when it came to ducks, he was a bird hunter at heart.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-03-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Wow, this is like a Paul Harvey commentary.... and no sarcasm intended.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

James Galloway was the best fisherman on Marion or any other lake in the Carolinas in his day.

Where is New Sparkleberry swamp?

I might have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Odd, that's my dad's name (also my name and my son's name) and he was one of the best bass fisherman and wingshots I have ever known. Bodie McDowell and dad grew up together and fished together often. Bodie once wrote in one of his articles that dad was the best bass fisherman he had ever fished with and he had fished with the best. And this is a man (Bodie) who has a hybrid bass named after him (Bodie Bass). Dad fished Santee a lot, his tales of wading and fly fishing the Hatchery were awesome. But dad was only a jump shooter when it came to ducks, he was a bird hunter at heart.
    My grandfathers other passion was wade fishing in the lower lake. He had a place he called e cow pasture that pe particularly loved to fish. Usually in Feb/March. He kept very detailed records of that as well.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Randy Horne has been gone for a good many years cat. He was a man who knew fishing. Unfortunately he had a relationship with the bottle that overtook him. As for moon man, we talked 2 to 3 times a week until the day he passed away. I was a young man in my upper 20's who cried like a baby at moons funeral. That old man dragged me around the swamp and we shot doves on our farm in summerton for years. I'd love to have some of his old decoys and hunting junk for keepsake.
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    does anyone of yall know a guy by the name of John Pack? my dad calls him Packman and hunted with him many times in the swamp. he was from florance and played ball at spartanburg methodist and then went on to the pros where he played for the texas rangers. dad tells me stories of when packman would sleep in the "hole" for days until the group could make it down for a hunt. one morning after being there for 3 days holding the hole ,dad and the rest of the group showed up to hunt and pack said in his geechie voice ," bo, it going to be good dis moning" . about an hour before sunrise a boat moved in close to them and they tryed to flash them off but they would leave,so packman hollered at them and said ," hey bo, you a little close dont you think?" the guys responded back with " you dont own the swamp!!!" packman said, " naw bo, you right , but we got enough artillary to move yo azz !!!" dad said the guys could move fast enough. needless to say the came out with an 8 man limit. said it was the best he has ever seen !!!

*couldn't *wouldn't
    Last edited by Arrowman; 12-03-2015 at 07:00 PM.

There was a guy that hunted Risers Lake back in the late 70's out of a original sneak boat that wore the ducks out. I remember one day he came out with a big 8 point laying across the sneak he had shot that morning along with his limit of ducks. Seems his name was Hayden something.

Yonce

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    My grandfathers other passion was wade fishing in the lower lake. He had a place he called e cow pasture that pe particularly loved to fish. Usually in Feb/March. He kept very detailed records of that as well.
    I waded the cow pasture and fished for bass a lot back when we had hydrilla.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Any of you guys around Sumter know Earl Woodward that worked with the Item? I hunted Sparkleberry with him years ago!
    Last edited by padl8697; 12-11-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by padl8697 View Post
    Any of you guys around Sumter know Earl Woodard that worked with the Item? I hunted Sparkleberry with him years ago!

If you want a fun day, let ol Nab take you for a ride in sparkleberry. Ive had some fun times cruising the swamp with ol nab.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I waded the cow pasture and fished for bass a lot back when we had hydrilla.
    My old man and his buddy did the same
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by possumwhiskey View Post
    Yonce
    Yep, that was him. Me and my dad would talk to him about every time we were in the swamp. Had a lot of good times fishing and hunting with my dad in the swamp.