Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old sparkleberry swamp

Eight guns with the plugs in sounds like 4 guns with no plugs.
    Old Leo shook his head a few times when he left....and said..."I just knew I was going to hang some paper on ya'll this morning.

Thanks for the pictures Cat.

I bet a lot of people on this site crossed paths with us Spartanburg boys late 70's to bout 1984. Them was the days down at Sparkleberry. We would camp at the old landing. Good Pics CD
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Deep View Post
    Anyone remember Ol Moonman?
    Billy Goff?

I had an uncle that has since passed who slayed the ducks down there. His name was Rhett Miller, some of you older guys might have known him. Anyway he told me stories of them hunting there and in and around Georgetown that got me hooked on duck hunting before I even hunted ducks. I've got a few of his pictures around here somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up.

PS - Also have an old family friend who grew up in Columbia and hunted down there for years by the name of Danny Hancock. Any of you fellas know him?
    Last edited by BCR3; 12-03-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Billy Goff?
    Yes Billy Goff

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Deep View Post
    Yes Billy Goff
    He was the best bass fisherman that I can recall. He caught them at every lake in the State. He and Jimmy McCord were the team to beat back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    He was the best bass fisherman that I can recall. He caught them at every lake in the State. He and Jimmy McCord were the team to beat back in the day.
    They fished out of Jimmy's john boat and used scuppernong 6" worms, they could out fish anybody shy of Randy Horne.

There is a guy I work with that use to hunt the swamp back when ducks were here. He tells me stories about camping out and holding a hole from time to time. He doesn't even duck hunt in SC anymore, says it's just not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Awesome stories guys. Thanks for sharing. Catdaddy thanks for sharing those pics. Pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    They fished out of Jimmy's john boat and used scuppernong 6" worms, they could out fish anybody shy of Randy Horne.
    What ever happened to Randy Horne?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post

When I was 25(38 yrs ago) Billy Goff won just about every tournament on Santee. I think he fished with a pro named Paul Chambelee a lot as well.

Scotty Scott is another good fisherman that comes to mind.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-03-2015 at 12:04 PM.

does anyone of yall know a guy by the name of John Pack? my dad calls him Packman and hunted with him many times in the swamp. he was from florance and played ball at spartanburg methodist and then went on to the pros where he played for the texas rangers. dad tells me stories of when packman would sleep in the "hole" for days until the group could make it down for a hunt. one morning after being there for 3 days holding the hole ,dad and the rest of the group showed up to hunt and pack said in his geechie voice ," bo, it going to be good dis moning" . about an hour before sunrise a boat moved in close to them and they tryed to flash them off but they would leave,so packman hollered at them and said ," hey bo, you a little close dont you think?" the guys responded back with " you dont own the swamp!!!" packman said, " naw bo, you right , but we got enough artillary to move yo azz !!!" dad said the guys could move fast enough. needless to say the came out with an 8 man limit. said it was the best he has ever seen !!!
    Last edited by scandler; 12-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Know him well.

CD, you responding to me or another post?

http://www.agfc.com/resources/enewsl...M_Mar_take.pdf

Along the lines of Sparkleberry, a buddy of mine sent me this the other day & I was curious if it has been discussed?

“We only have 11 percent of Arkansas’s traditional forested wetlands left,” Naylor said. “And now the waste rice that took the place of that forest food is dwindling.Refuges and rest areas are only a postage stamp when you look at the amount of space ducks need. We have to keep as many pockets of food and forested habitat as possible.”

Could we see a shift from Arkansas elsewhere within our lifetimes like what some have seen out of Sparkleberry?

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    CD, you responding to me or another post?
    You, John Pack and I go to Arkansas every year. He was supposed to go to Canada this year with the group but something came up.

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    does anyone of yall know a guy by the name of John Pack? my dad calls him Packman and hunted with him many times in the swamp. he was from florance and played ball at spartanburg methodist and then went on to the pros where he played for the texas rangers. dad tells me stories of when packman would sleep in the "hole" for days until the group could make it down for a hunt. one morning after being there for 3 days holding the hole ,dad and the rest of the group showed up to hunt and pack said in his geechie voice ," bo, it going to be good dis moning" . about an hour before sunrise a boat moved in close to them and they tryed to flash them off but they would leave,so packman hollered at them and said ," hey bo, you a little close dont you think?" the guys responded back with " you dont own the swamp!!!" packman said, " naw bo, you right , but we got enough artillary to move yo azz !!!" dad said the guys could move fast enough. needless to say the came out with an 8 man limit. said it was the best he has ever seen !!!
    yeah he is a character

knows how to fish too

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    You, John Pack and I go to Arkansas every year. He was supposed to go to Canada this year with the group but something came up.

Same John Pack from the Pack Club?
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt4fun View Post
    http://www.agfc.com/resources/enewsl...M_Mar_take.pdf

Along the lines of Sparkleberry, a buddy of mine sent me this the other day & I was curious if it has been discussed?

“We only have 11 percent of Arkansas’s traditional forested wetlands left,” Naylor said. “And now the waste rice that took the place of that forest food is dwindling.Refuges and rest areas are only a postage stamp when you look at the amount of space ducks need. We have to keep as many pockets of food and forested habitat as possible.”

Could we see a shift from Arkansas elsewhere within our lifetimes like what some have seen out of Sparkleberry?
    No, there are too many jackleg hunters in SC, and not enough habitat.