Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Old sparkleberry swamp

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    How the heck doesn't Sportin come up with this stuff? Hahahaha!

How do you know that he doesn't come up with it??

Wow. Great post. Lots of blacks
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

If there was a Canine Hall of Fame, Buddy would be President Emeritus.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    Late 80's / early 90's

"Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

He was a helleuva dog, son of a gun was the best deer tracker in the county and he would even herd cows- no shit
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

We couldn't go hunting one Saturday afternoon, Momma had me and MDman doing yard work. We kept hearing the pack hounds get closer and closer until finally Buddy shot off into the woods like a lightning bolt. 10 seconds later, out bursts a monster 8-10 pointer at full gallop with Buddy gnawing on his hind quarters. Chased him across two fields, the highway, and the length of another field before Buddy came strutting back into the yard with a half cocked smile on his face. True story.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Love the old photos from back in the day...my dad has told me many stories from the swamp and many of them included names mentioned in this thread. Some of you may even know him or hunted with him.
    Name of Poe.

Birds died before Mojo began production!!??!!
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 01-27-2016 at 07:06 PM.

This is one of my favorite threads. A pic similar to this may have been posted before but I took this this morning thought it was cool.

5D018B6E-5F22-4562-91EE-927D247A3592.jpg

Just went back through the whole thread sitting in the deer stand. Good for the soul but breaks the heart
    80-20 Genaration

I love when this thread got brought up.

My grandfather owned a construction company in Sumter and Max Terry was a tile subcontractor and an absolute fishing addict. My grandfather's company had won a bid to build a new school. Schools obviously have to be ready when its time for the students to go back in August, and they were struggling to meet the deadlines. My grandfather went to Max and asked him if he would be willing to lay tile all weekend to get the bathrooms finished, and Max agreed to do it at a premium. When they showed up on Monday, not a single tile had been laid.

When my grandfather got Max on the phone, Max said "Mr Harry, I knew I wasn't going to lay that tile this weekend because the fish were biting too good in the swamp, but you sounded so desperate that I just couldn't disappoint you and say no".
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

And one Toy McCord story

In 1996 I played American Legion baseball for Sumter and Manning was our main rival. Most all of us played high school together as well, where Laurence Manning was our main rival. The group of us certainly didn't like each other at all between the lines, and it didn't hurt that we were pretty evenly matched.

Bill Brewer was the Manning coach and Toy was an assistant. His nephew Donnie was one of the better players on the team, as well. In the previous game that had been played in Sumter things had gotten pretty heated over a play at third base, so the bad blood was flowing pretty good. We traveled down to that field built in the swamp in Manning on a hot night with thick mosquitoes and it was humid as hell.

Bill Brewer was sitting over on a bucket and giving pitch signals to the catcher, and somewhere along the line, we picked up the signals. We started hitting their pitcher whose last name was Sullivan pretty good, and I came up to bat. They figured us out, and gave a signal to switch things up, and my dugout gives me the signal for the curveball, and I waited for it to break. The fastball never broke, and I bailed just in time that it didn't catch me in the earhole. There were a couple snickers from the Manning dugout and I went on with the at bat. The issue that I had was that their pitcher had a DH, and I thought it was bullshit for him to throw at my head when he didn't have to come up to bat. Two innings later, their DH came up to bat and I drilled him in the middle of the back and said something to the pitcher in the dugout. All hell broke loose, but nobody really got hurt. We were lucky to get out of that swamp alive.

Two years later I was standing on the dike at Halowell and Toy walks up. I shook his hand and the first thing he says to me was "I don't blame you for drilling that guy" We had a good laugh about it before he started teaching me about ducks per usual.

I would just like to say screw photobucket... so many great pictures lost
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Brooks Sullivan was the pitcher you speak of Boozer. Went to East Clarendon
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    Brooks Sullivan was the pitcher you speak of Boozer. Went to East Clarendon
    I think his name was Jamie Sullivan and the third baseman was Brooks Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Just went back through the whole thread sitting in the deer stand. Good for the soul but breaks the heart

every few months i find myself thumbing back through this one myself....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I saw that game, at the time I lived about 4 blocks from the stadium, went to a lot of the home AL games. The P 15's always fielded a good team.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 12-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Stumbled upon this guy this past weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eaglecliff; 11-10-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Not only Toy, but both of his brothers, Jimmy (older) and Donald (younger) were legends in the Swamp. All three are still avid duck hunters, even at the ages of 71 to about 68.
    Professor
    Toy is still getting after it...

The old man just turned 76 and is just as much of a danger to a mallard duck as he was in 1976.

A living legend.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Toy is still getting after it...
    I feel partly responsible for the ducks that continue to die at his hands. My bad guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.