Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shot a big 8pt

If you have use a Pod. The Deer would be Dead with in 30 yards. not running around the Woods Suffering.
    Last edited by Slickrick; 11-28-2015 at 08:31 PM.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Hate it for you. Boogered up a stud last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I have one I shot in late October. Broke off 6-7" and the broad head inside. Square in front shoulder. Still getting pics of him over a month later and he looks fine now.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Good for you to get to draw back on a good 'un! I made a VERY marginal shot on a KY 8pt last year. Gave that rascal 3 hrs and jumped him. Came back 24 hrs later and jumped him again. He had bedded 5 or so times. Shot him him again before we met. That deer ain't dead.

Pile up some sookies and have a Playoff party and shake him off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I've learned there are no set rules as far as lethality of shot placement unless it's a clean double lung or heart shot. They'll do weird stuff and they're as tough as the phillipino clap. You likely got one lung and they can live a long time on one. Nothing you can do but learn from it.

Anatomically impossible. It's a common misconception that there is a dead space in the thorax but there isn't.
    Technically you are correct, however in real life situations using stick and string that shot turns into a low probability of death and even a lower probability of recovery due to the fact it barely touched any vitals. Deer can live with a "nicked" lung.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    I got 13" of penetration. 420gr total weight. 30.5" draw, 64 lbs draw weight. 2015 elite synergy. Plenty of kinetic energy.

I could step up to heavier broadheads but I've never had an issue in the 10 years I've been bowhunting.
    Too light. Heavy arrow would have plowed through that deer. Has nothing to do with tough. Way slower speed with a heavy arrow would have exited. Not being any kind of elitist because I'm not a great bow shot and have lost several myself. BUT, hitting from any angle except maybe dead spine shot with the deer dropping right there an arrow should be buried in a deer with at least an exit if not complete pass through. Quit thinking it's OK because you see deer on TV run off with an arrow hanging out of them from the side they were shot.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    There is a foot of arrow in that deer. That's an ass of arrow. I know deer are tough as shit, but with the info provided, I think this deer is dead.

I hate this for you
    That's not much arrow at all. A lethal shot with a rifle can be hard to find with no exit wound. When you lose that, it gets exponentially harder unless they fall within 75 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    That's not much arrow at all. A lethal shot with a rifle can be hard to find with no exit wound. When you lose that, it gets exponentially harder unless they fall within 75 yards.

I helped a buddy track a deer thursday that he shot the day before with a rifle. Bone matter and bloody spray everywhere... not one sign of the deer after 175 yards. Searched for two days straight with waders and all - and nothing. Deer is gone- sucks, crap happens.

Sad but happens to all of us, If not broadside or quartering away, I have to let them walk. I lost 3 in two seasons ago because I didnt have the best angle on shots I took.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Too light. Heavy arrow would have plowed through that deer. Has nothing to do with tough. Way slower speed with a heavy arrow would have exited. Not being any kind of elitist because I'm not a great bow shot and have lost several myself. BUT, hitting from any angle except maybe dead spine shot with the deer dropping right there an arrow should be buried in a deer with at least an exit if not complete pass through. Quit thinking it's OK because you see deer on TV run off with an arrow hanging out of them from the side they were shot.
    There is a point where you can lose enough speed to where a heavy arrow hurts you. I don't know what that weight would be for his setup but I played around with mine 4-5 years ago and the optimal weight for my setup was around 420-425 grains at 305 FPS.

We don't even know exactly where he hit the deer and people are questioning his setup....

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    There is a point where you can lose enough speed to where a heavy arrow hurts you. I don't know what that weight would be for his setup but I played around with mine 4-5 years ago and the optimal weight for my setup was around 420-425 grains at 305 FPS.

We don't even know exactly where he hit the deer and people are questioning his setup....

I have to disagree. Many traditional rigs shoot arrows up to 5-600 grains or higher at speeds barely over 200 fps and with a two blade cut on contact head blow through the biggest critters in North America. Including elk and moose. Heavy is hard to stop. Especially when it is sharp.

I have to disagree. Many traditional rigs shoot arrows up to 5-600 grains or higher at speeds barely over 200 fps and with a two blade cut on contact head blow through the biggest critters in North America. Including elk and moose. Heavy is hard to stop. Especially when it is sharp.
    Mathematically there has to be a tradeoff. You and I know a dozen or more things go into it but eventually you get to a tradeoff. Again, I don't know what that is for his setup or yours.

http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/

http://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ener...tum-calculator

It all starts with proper tuning. Heavy or light; if its knuckle balling penetration will suck.

Bow is properly tuned. Shooting bullet holes. Arrows group well, broadheads fly true. I didn't do my part is the problem.

Not my setup. I've used this arrow/broadhead combo for ten years and killed lots of deer.

Appreciate the setup advice but I'm good.

His setup will kill any whitetail. Quartering to is not the best shot selection for a bowhunter. If you choose that bury the arrow in the chest not behind the shoulder.

remington869 Coots

Agree, 13" of penetration is plenty enough but shot placement is the problem. Sometimes as a bowhunter ya just have to let them walk and wait for a better opertunity. Just one more challenge that adds to the excitement of the successful bow kill.

It happens to all of us, itchy trigger finger and buck fever on a nice deer at close range. Its what makes the sport so beautiful.

I agree

Everyone of the respondents above has lost a deer or hasn't shot at enough

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Everyone of the respondents above has lost a deer or hasn't shot at enough
    Yep.

OP it sucks and I feel for you. It is the lowest of lows when it comes to bowhunting.