Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shot a big 8pt

Don't know where u are located but my sin has a lab the will trail up a deer found two for us this week but he is in joanna

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Bow is properly tuned. Shooting bullet holes. Arrows group well, broadheads fly true. I didn't do my part is the problem.

Not my setup. I've used this arrow/broadhead combo for ten years and killed lots of deer.

Appreciate the setup advice but I'm good.

I have no doubt you're tuned well. I wasn't questioning that or being critical. Just having a friendly convo with Led.

Sorry you lost the buck. A quartering to shot is tough. Started back butchering my own deer again this year and deboning a shoulder shows there is plenty of bone to deflect any arrow, heavy or light, on the shot you described. I'd say it's very likely you didn't penetrate the chest cavity at all and could possibly see that buck again.

Not trying to throw salt in the wound here with this:

That ridge running down the middle of the shoulder blade is as tough a bugger as the knuckle. Nock out of the arrow in the picture, am sure you heard a "Crack" of a hit. Anyway, enough of the arm chair detective. If he's dead I hope you find him and if he ain't I hope he walks by you again.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 11-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Appreciate all the replies. I started this thread as a means to vent. Not trying to get defensive or act like I've seen it/done it all because I certainly have not.

I took a marginal shot at shot at best and did not put the arrow where I needed to. I own it and will use this as a learning experience. I hope he is still alive as I do not like for an animal to suffer or go to waste.

Referencing the above photo, best I can tell, arrow impact was at the point of shoulder bone.

Tough animals.... You will never find him IMO!
    Bad shot choice in the heat of the moment.
    I lost a big nontypical last season from a layup 18 yard broadside shot.
    He kept the broad head and 8" of arrow from what looked like a perfect heart punch.
    It sucks.....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 11-29-2015 at 05:55 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Men should never use the phrase "to vent"