Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot a big 8pt

Default Shot a big 8pt

Caught a glimpse of him bird dogging a doe about 75 yards away. Grunted a few times and he walked 20 yds from the tree. Shot him quartering to. Wind was swirling, doe had already spooked. Took first shot opportunity.

This is all I have to remember him by.

Been bowhunting 10 years and this is only the second time I've lost one. First deer I ever shot was a doe that I made a bad shot on. Killed a few every year since without having to go through this. Man it stings. Looked hard for four hours with two different dogs.

He has a good 5 to 7 inches broke off in him.

Should be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

I completely agree with you about him being dead.

But he has 13" broke off in him. My arrows are 31".

Hit him high behind shoulder. 20' up at 20 yards, I can't help but believe I caught the top of one lung.

Quartering to with a bow is iffy at best.... Been there, had to learn the hard way. Hope you find him....

Is it possible you hit above the spine? The spine dips down a fair amount at the shoulders. I've broken a blade off on a deer's spine, didn't paralyze it and the deer lived.

If you hit below the spine then it's at least one lung. It's impossible to slip an arrow below the spine and over the lungs especially at that angle. They can live a couple hours on one lung. Hopefully you didn't push him and of course check the thick stuff and by water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter81 View Post
    Quartering to with a bow is iffy at best.... Been there, had to learn the hard way. Hope you find him....

I agree with you. It was either try to sneak an arrow in or watch him run off. I apparently made the wrong decision. If i would have hit a little lower I believe he would be skint out and in the cooler.

How long did he lay before yall went after him?

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    I completely agree with you about him being dead.

But he has 13" broke off in him. My arrows are 31".

Hit him high behind shoulder. 20' up at 20 yards, I can't help but believe I caught the top of one lung.
    Based on that trajectory, I'd suggest you may have gotten the back edge of a lung, possibly the spleen or liver, and some gut. I think I'd keep looking in an increasing radius from where you started, headed downhill or towards water...?

There used to be a guy with bloodhounds in the Lauren's/Greenwood area you might talk to. He might know of someone close by who likes to train their bloodhounds like he did/does by tracking lost deer. ' Bloodhound Billy' ... Eight six four - 2 three eight- six85one. I do not know if he still responds to requests or not. But he might know some who do.

Good luck!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    How long did he lay before yall went after him?

2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Based on that trajectory, I'd suggest you may have gotten the back edge of a lung, possibly the spleen or liver, and some gut. I think I'd keep looking in an increasing radius from where you started, headed downhill or towards water...?

Checked every which way out to 500 + yards. Checked ephemeral drains and pond.

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    2 hours
    yikes. Not near long enough imo.

Did you lose blood alltogether
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by cut em' View Post
    Did you lose blood alltogether

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

There used to be a guy with bloodhounds in the Lauren's/Greenwood area you might talk to. He might know of someone close by who likes to train their bloodhounds like he did/does by tracking lost deer. ' Bloodhound Billy' ... Eight six four - 2 three eight- six85one. I do not know if he still responds to requests or not. But he might know some who do.

Good luck!

I'm at my family farm near Boykin. I covered a lot of ground.

All that can be done now is to watch for buzzards. My grandfather is going to keep an eye out for me.

What type broadhead?

Had the same thing happen to me several years ago. Shot a buck at 20 yards or so quartering towards me. Arrow broke off 5 or so inches inside him just like yours did. Looked for hours and ran out of blood after a couple hundred yards, still didnt find him in the following days.

Fast forward 1.5 years and a poacher shot a buck on an adjacent property that we lease at night- takes the antlers and leaves everything else, classy move...

Fast forward to the following turkey season and I am walking through the field where that buck was shot and I notice in the pile of bones left behind there a broken off arrow with the same broadhead I shoot. I still had the other half of the arrow that had broken off and the two pieces fit together perfectly. So this deer had lived for 1.5 years with a broadhead inside him- call me crazy but its true.

Not saying this will happen with your buck but thought Id share

Not trying to be a jerk at all, but 2 hours is not near long enough. Go back and find him. He's there.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk at all, but 2 hours is not near long enough. Go back and find him. He's there.
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

A deer can go a long long ways on one lung.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    What type broadhead?

Slicktrick 100gr magnum