Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Loss of a Legend...

Default The Loss of a Legend...

30 years ago I begged my dad for a bow. I had hunted with my father since I was old enough to walk. Quail, squirrels, rabbits and deer. We deer hunted in a family club, mostly dog hunted, but no one in my family bowhunted. I was obsessed with reading about it and wanted a bow so bad I couldn't stand it. I worked, saved my money and dad took me to buy what I could afford, a used Bear Whitetail Hunter. Round wheel, no cams. I got that bow, a glove and a half dozen arrows with field points and some Zwicky broad heads. I can't remember how much it all cost. I laid every dollar I had on the counter and the guy said "That'll cover it" but I'm certain it didn't.

For a target I bummed a used burlap sac from a feed store and drove up to the cotton warehouse and stuffed it full with floor cotton that they threw away and sewed it up with hay string. It was a great field point target and I must have shot it a thousand and one times.

I shot all summer. Every day, twice a day. My dad helped me build a stand in a "bowhuntin'" type area and I counted the days till bow season opened. When October came I was in my back yard shooting the evening before the season opened. My plan was to be in the tree at daylight. My third shot that evening sounded like a .22 going off when my string broke. The archery shop way across town was closed and I was dead in the water. I carried my bow in the house and the look on my face said it all. My dad felt helpless I'm sure and assured me we'd try to get it fixed the next day. But it didn't matter. I was going to miss the first morning of bow season and I was devastated. I remember sitting in my room feeling awful damn sorry for myself when I remembered a girl I was friends with at school had mentioned her dad being a "big bowhunter". Little did I know at the time how big. I called Lu and asked her if her dad knew how to fix a bow string because mine had broke. She screamed to her dad "Glenn's string on his bow broke! Can you help him?" I heard him yell back to bring it over and he'd see what he could do.

I drove to their house, knocked on the door and stood there holding my limbs, wheels and broken string when this hulk of a man opened the door and stuck his plate sized paw out and said "Glenn, I'm George. C'mon in and let's get you fixed up." I walked in the house and my jaw hit the floor. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling critters. Deer, elk, bear, caribou, plains game, the Big 5, dik dik, turkeys, etc, etc etc. It was heaven. The first words I could manage were "you kill all these?" He said, "yeah, most of 'em. We'll talk about those later." I followed him into his bow room and it was wall to wall, floor to ceiling bows. Recurve, longbows, compounds. They were everywhere. I sat there awestruck as he took my rooty pooty old Bear, put it in his vise and built me a new string. From scratch. I was, again, amazed. In less than an hour he had built me a new string, tuned my bow and after a few quick shooting lessons in his indoor range, had it dialed in.

The next morning I was in my stand when daylight cracked. That afternoon I went and hunted with Big George at his insistence. Over the next few years I got to hunt with him and his family countless times and met some really great people at his camp, including Jerry Simmons, the original maker of Simmons Broadheads. I had my first bowkill at his place. He had a wall in his hunting cabin that was filled with pictures, one on top of another, of kids and grown ups alike with their first deer.

Over the years I've kept in touch with him and his family off and on but life takes you in strange directions and it has been years since we've hunted together.

Today I was informed that Big George Mann lost his battle with diabetes due to stroke complications. He would drop whatever he was doing to help anyone and he has left a lasting impression on me and hundreds of others. He will be missed and I am so thankful he took the time he did to help a gangly 16 year old kid.

Rest in peace, Big George. Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Glenn; 11-16-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Good read! I'm sure he was a good man also. Sorry for your loss!
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Sorry to hear that Glenn, you have our prayers.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Prayers sent

Sorry for your loss Glenn.

Sorry for your loss man. Sounds like a helluva man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Great story sad ending prayers for you and the family sounds like a true sportsman.

Helluva eulogy, 2-n-Glenn.

Godspeed, Big George.
    Last edited by turbo; 11-16-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Good stuff, Glenn. THAT is what bowhunting should be all about.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Hate that.

Seems like one awesome guy.

Prayers sent for all involved
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Glenn you serve his legacy well with that write up. As Stripa says, that is what it is supposed to be about.
    Last edited by MC; 11-16-2015 at 05:18 PM.

That's the mark of a fine man, good stuff Glenn. Sorry to hear your friend passed on but looks like you do your part and he would be proud. Guarantee you he has the wind in his favor up there.

From the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame...

George Mann
    Class of 2004

Category: Distinguished Alabama Sportsman

Born: December 27, 1940
    Birthplace: Birmingham, Alabama

Mann a graduate of Auburn University is the only person in Alabama to be twice-named Wildlife Conservationist of the Year (1981 and ‘91). According to The Pope and Young Club (a national bow hunting and wild life conservation organization who maintains the records of bow harvested animals), he is the only bow hunter in the world to take a Grizzly Bear, a Kodiak Brown Bear, a Black Bear and two Polar Bears that were all in the top five in the world when taken. He has been recognized by the International Game Fish Association with twenty-one world records in flyfishing. He created, developed, financed and built the Mann Museum and Outdoors, one of the state’s outstanding vehicles for promoting wildlife conservation. The museum features more than 250 exhibits of full size mounted wildlife, as well as saltwater and freshwater fish, reptiles and insects from North America . The museum originally located in Opelika, was moved to Montgomery in February 2003 to become a part of the Montgomery Zoo.
    Last edited by Glenn; 11-16-2015 at 05:33 PM.

sorry for the loss of a good friend

Sounds like a great woodsman...

Great read, Glenn. Thanks.

Godspeed, Big George...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Wow. What a man. Sounds like he left things better than he found them. Except Animals. He seemed to leave them dead.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Glad you got to know him and wish I would have.. Sounds like a great man.
    Genesis 9;2

Sorry for your loss Glenn.

Sounds like a great guy. Most men like that don't talk a lot, they do a lot.