Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Don Thomas fired by DU

So Pittman Robertson was a communist plot, Jabblerouser?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

No it was a common tax. Take our money to fund things for the masses. Sound about right?

Why do things have to be different "out West"?

I'm certain I'm over-simplifying the problem, but private property is just that.... you know, private.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    While I know nothing of "how it is" in Montana, I do know that I don't want people standing in my yard in Beaufort because it gives them access to the river.

I don't want them camping on the banks of the creek in my backyard because "everybody ought to have access to our rivers and streams".

Private land ownership is a real thing whether these laws have been in place for decades or not.

However, if Montana doesn't change a thing about their stream access legislation, it's absolutely no skin off my back.

Lastly, I've never met a billionaire that I liked. Mostly because that fucker had more money than me and I wanted to be him. Jealousy is never a good look on anybody.
    But are you not supportive of each State's authority/ability to form it's own laws? People on this site can't argue against the overpowering Federal Government while also saying all state laws should conform to what South Carolinians think.

That's fair enough.

But, if that's the case in Montana, I will never hold private land there (not that I ever would anyhow).
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Why do things have to be different "out West"?
    Because of history and how those laws developed. That history would encompass the Homestead Act to Cattle Barrons to water rights in an area where water is a premium. On the opposite end of that spectrum is SC where original land rights were established by King's Grant in a significantly smaller geographical area (puny in relation to western states), the (valuable) land was owned by Plantation Owners, and water was plentiful.

There are far more reasons, and this is an oversimplification, but these are some of the reasons why it is "different out west."

That's fair enough.

But, if that's the case in Montana, I will never hold private land there (not that I ever would anyhow).
    You don't think people in SC can access, stand on, hunt adjacent to private property in SC so long as they stay within the high water mark?? The only difference here is the streams in MT are generally shallow, and can be fished by someone on foot, but those same high water marks in SC must be accesse by boat.

There is a similar high water mark law in SC! There is actually SC case law where the public can cross a manmade dam to access lakes ponds on private property which is formed by that dam. So, if you SC bass pond is formed by a spring or creek, with a dam on the downstream end, it's accessible by the public.

I don't know about access to waterways at bridges in SC, but it would make sense that one could access a waterway from that point as the bridge is on public land.

Want the opposite end of the spectrum? In Colorado, you can't even anchor your boat in the middle of a river if each side of that river is private land! Sound better? I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    No it was a common tax. Take our money to fund things for the masses. Sound about right?
    At some point, your philosophical purity has a train wreck with reality. Trust fund land barons don't provide EVERYTHING for themselves or their property. So at what point do the masses that provide things like common defense, transportation infrastructure, and yes, natural resource preservation deserve access to common property resources like natural resources? How do you strike the balance between that and private property rights? Probably best not to put the fox in charge of the hen house.

Turbo, the only thing that makes the west any different are the players and the context.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Rubberhead

Landowners rights and philanthropic ventures aside, you do not have the right of free speech if you work for most organizations in America (public or private.) The last corporation I worked for forbade employees for identifying on Facebook and other social media where they worked. You do not have to believe to make it true, but free speech is merely a notion in America. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Landowners rights and philanthropic ventures aside, you do not have the right of free speech if you work for most organizations in America (public or private.) The last corporation I worked for forbade employees for identifying on Facebook and other social media where they worked. You do not have to believe to make it true, but free speech is merely a notion in America. MG
    Tha hell does that have to do with a constitutional right of free speech?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I'm equally concerned that the US Dept of Commerce is donating $200,000 to campaigns.