Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: swamp work

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    is that all rice?
    not quite. maybe 75%. lots of native grasses and residual jap millet.

JBK, this place has gone from a few woodies to 100s, plus teal, mallards, geese.

scduck, I have yet to have beavers mess with the outlet, elbow side. On the other end, they generally leave it alone until the water is level with the drain, and they can hear/see the water leaving. In additon to the welded wire wrapped around the pipe, I put in hog panels and tpost around it, which helps with debris as well. I shoot a few each year to keep them in check.

Have enjoyed seeing the progress you have made with this....definitely one of the best threads on here. Well done

I've got the perfect spot for this, but no beavers.

How many acres have you cleared/planted at this point?

I wish I didn't have so many hobbies and worked less.

There are several place I would like to do this but the damn hogs would wreck it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I've got the perfect spot for this, but no beavers.

How many acres have you cleared/planted at this point?
    Close to 2 acres I think, with 15 more to clear. My end goal is 10 and leave some of the rest in scrub brush (mostly willows, maple, a few oaks).
    It has been a lot of hard work, but fun too. With my son getting closer to hunting age, I will be doing machine work instead of by hand. Dozer next year to stump and grade.

That's pretty damn impressive and very rewarding I'm sure.

love seeing this thread updated every year...lets me know that fall is just around the corner. pretty work as always youngbuck
    Last edited by ziggy; 08-23-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Could you give us your fertilizer rates, kind ,and times on the rice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Close to 2 acres I think, with 15 more to clear. My end goal is 10 and leave some of the rest in scrub brush (mostly willows, maple, a few oaks).
    It has been a lot of hard work, but fun too. With my son getting closer to hunting age, I will be doing machine work instead of by hand. Dozer next year to stump and grade.
    I might the suggestion that you consult an engineer and get a wetlands delineation before you pile a dozer in there, might save you a quarter million or two. Clearing by hand they don’t notice so much but a dozer they notice. They being the ACOE and NRCS.

Looks good though
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Could you give us your fertilizer rates, kind ,and times on the rice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    without my notes, I think it was 100/lbs N per acre. Two batches, most was at tiller stage, and bit more N at preboot. I did Rex this year, 6/1 date

SouthernDuck, good advice that I will follow up on. We have discussed before that flooded property due to a beaver dam is different than a natural wetland scenario. But big gov is gunna big gov

Any one that wants to try this, I have 5 years worth of notes saved that I can share. Send me a PM

Nice work. If it is not a delineated wetland, haul ass. If it is, good luck.
    Carolina Counsel

Any updates on how the season is going?
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    Any updates on how the season is going?
    New lessons learned this year.. Before seeding the rice, I disced it by 4wheeler for the very first time. What I anticipated was better germination, what I got was weeds. Lots of them. Mostly sprangletop and fall panicum. Some barnyard, wild millet mixed in. Rice was eventually pushed back to maybe 25%, or less. I didn't catch on until it was too late. The plan for this spring is flood it early, to help with weed management, or spray with STAM.

I hunted it twice, and killed exactly one duck... Poor duck conditions overall, but my food yield was very poor.

20191121_171234.jpg

How old is that blind?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    How old is that blind?
    5 years I think. and didn't get around to brushing it in this year, too busy with a new house. anddd no ducks

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    New lessons learned this year.. Before seeding the rice, I disced it by 4wheeler for the very first time. What I anticipated was better germination, what I got was weeds. Lots of them. Mostly sprangletop and fall panicum. Some barnyard, wild millet mixed in. Rice was eventually pushed back to maybe 25%, or less. I didn't catch on until it was too late. The plan for this spring is flood it early, to help with weed management, or spray with STAM.

I hunted it twice, and killed exactly one duck... Poor duck conditions overall, but my food yield was very poor.

20191121_171234.jpg

Damn, hate to hear about the lack of birds this year. Any chance to learn is a chance to improve. Keep up the hard work.

Maybe don't tell the wife about how much that one bird you shot in there this year cost. Along that line, I have a buddy who kept a separate bank account just for play, mainly buying and selling guns. He was going in for heart surgery and while in anesthesia prep told his wife "hey if I die there is 20k+ in an account at XXX bank". His wife said "You damn well better hope you die". She's from Texas, that's love.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Last year the swamp work was somewhat productive. The rice failed again, this time due to April floods that washed away two separate plantings of rice. I also lost about 2 acres of jap millet to army worms. While the water was out, I added another pond leveler, and updated the original. The diamond shape design of cattle panels keeps beavers and most vegetation out. I also removed the wire and water hose pipe enclosure, and used galvanized chain-link to wrap the pipe with. Having 2 drain setups should help with high water flow when the creek floods. We will see.
    Resized_20210705_124859-01.jpg

My goal for this place is to have somewhere decent to take my son Luke duck hunting. I have also been helping with a local CTO (cross trail outfitter) chapter. Many of the kids in our group have never been on a duck hunt. I wanted to build a blind that could hold several of us. I came up with this 16'x5' design in my head and got to work. A friend of mine donated all the rough cut cedar boards- mostly flawed or end pieces. My vision was something that looked natural, but would still last awhile. It's positioned against the wood line, and all birds general work out front. There's a few thing's I would do differently on the next one, but overall I'm happy with it.
    20220220_124057-02.jpg

20220220_120942-02.jpg

20220220_123751-02.jpg

Somebody get to work on a like button.

Very cool project YoungBuck, thanks for taking the time to bring us along.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14