Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: labradoodles .........

do any of you know much about these dogs? wife wants one due to the fact they do not shed hair. which would be a welcome relief compaired to our yellow lab and hardwood floors. i swear, i could build another dog with all the hair he sheds.

anyhoo...... most of the labradoodles i have seen i would not have. they look like a lab with a jerry curl! but she has seen one with straight hair she said i would like and one of our "way down the street" neighbors has a yellow labradoodle puppy that is yellow and has straight yet long hair. not as long as a golden, but longer than a lab. i could live with that.

my dog will be 13 in november and although he is in great health i want to make plans for a new puppy soon.

do boykins shed much?

my dog this summer. looks pretty good for almost 13 years old.

wherever we go we bring monkey with us

I might consider a "Labradoodle" if it was free, but I sure wouldn't pay the designer fees being requested. They're really just mutts at this point, not a new breed.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

yeah, i looking at about $800 plus. not worried about the money .... so long as i get a good dog and companion. id pay that much for a good lab without thinking twice.

I don't personally hesitate to get dogs off a new breed. Development of a breed is quick as far as getting repeated charcateristics, and good dogs often come before genetic traits get wahsed out by time and mass breeding. But, the problem is, if that breed is newly developed for the characteric you desire.
    From what i know about the breed, they are deveolped based on temperment and the hypo-allergenic hair coat. The flat coat is not breedable with their registry, from my understanding. They have not developed the breed, as of yet, for hunting drive/ retrieving. When they do, I would get one and try it. I like the hypo-allergenic and non shedding quality, who gives a shit about the afro. But, I will wait till someone targets retriving with them.

I will probably start a whole bunch of shit with this, but when I get settled next year, I begin to mess with crossing labs and chessies. I like the trainability of the lab and the heartiness of the chessie. I don't really care about registration except it gives the history. Labs are not cold hearty these days. A Nodak blizzard puts a hurtin on most of em....
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

What the heck is it? Sounds like a cur to me.

Is it a cross between a Lab and a Standard Poodle?

I've only dealt with 3 Standard Poodles, them sucker get pretty big and 2 of the 3 were mean as Satan! The 3rd belonged to a friend of mine from England. He said when he was in England he fed it a sheep head everyday. Said that thing would eat the whole head, every bit of it!
    He'd stop by the slaughter house once a week and stock up on heads!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

yes, that's what they are.

There was a woman in who worked at MAcks PW when we had stopped over in Stuttgart a couple of years ago. She started telling me about these "Labrapoodles" and I politely said how nice that was, deep inside I was trying not to laugh. I suppose if you need a breed that won't shed on yer hardwood floors get a German Shorthair pointer! I guess if you want one, try em out. I think I'll keep my Labrador REtriever just the way they are..If it ain't broke...
    At least I'm housebroken.

Poodles are not necessarily mean... we have our second and both have been the best dogs you could hope for. Blue was a good retriever, but not the best (plenty good enough for the amount of effort I exerted in training him); Winston (our 9 month old) hasn't spent much time in the field, but he listens well.

Beware of the hypoallergenic and non-shedding claims for labradoodles - it depends on the individual coat. Poodles do indeed have these characteristics.

Daniel
    Carla Dee

thanks for the comments guys.

look at the head on my dog. it's freaking HUGE!!

My Fiance' has a Toy, sweetest dog you ever saw and VERY loyal to the family, but doesn't get along with strange dogs too well, or babies. Oh yeah, she doesn't like [img]graemlins/afro.gif[/img] 's either!

She's fine by me boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

dukmon Boykins will shed.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

Labradoodle

Is this the dog?? That is one hairy mofo.

gawd. the ones i have seen didn't have that much hair all over them.

The labradoodle idea sounds good to me. To hell w/ someone thinking bad of your dog. If they are that hairy shave them. Our yellow lab sheds everywhere. Boykins do shed but not nearly as bad as Labs.

That dog in OSD21's post looks like it has as much hair as any animal on this planet. I don't care what anyone says...to think that an animal covered in hair does not loose hair is rediculous. If it dosen't shed I'd like to know where the hair goes when it falls out naturally.

On another note, if you're interested in a retrieving poodle, I have a friend who has begun training them. They are excellent in temperment and trainability. He just finished force fetch with one and has others in various stages of field work.

fishwhistle.. all of them that i have seen have much less hair than the one pictured on that site. a whole lot less. and the hair looked more like a fro. ill search for another pic.

fish, you are right. They do shed... the trick (with poodles, not necc. labradoodles) is that they have tight curls... like a fro. You can actually cord (dread) them if you want. As long as you brush the fro once a week, the hair will stay wrapped up in the coat and not make it to your floor, bed, food, etc...

Most folks with hunting poodles shave them in the summer and give them a puppy cut in the winter. Duck, if you want some pictures of my dogs I will send you some.
    Carla Dee

I hunted with a labpoodle in Stuggart. Guy named Hoot Gibson (out of Tenn) had several in his goose outfit. Dog reminded me of that wooly creature on Star Wars. What impressed me most was the dog's unsatiable appetite for goose shit. No lie.....he would eat it by the tons...
    We are the people our parents warned us about...JB

Yeah, if you are interested in Labradoodles I have Hoot's cell number around here somewhere. If you are in the market I am sure he can point you in the right direction...

thanks jab. ill let you know what's up and when the deal starts to go down. maybe this spring or so..