Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel SUV Recommendations

Default Diesel SUV Recommendations

Looking in to my next vehicle and want something big enough to pull a camper, but due to the size of may family, has to be a SUV. I was looking at some Excursions, but I see that the last year that they made them was 2005 and was told that the last year with the 7.3 diesel was 2003?? I haven't been in the market, so help me out. What has been made in the last 5-7 years in the way of big diesel suvs with an engine equivalent to the 7.3 powerstroke?

Side note, i also want something that can be customized to run shit over when the balloon goes up.

Last edited by everlast; 10-26-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

You are out of luck unless you go older or custom.

There is a really nice Excursion over on the Hull Truth that has been worked pretty good, looks damn good and is reasonably priced. I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me go get it, but she ain't having it.

Only Diesel SUV's I know of currently are Audi, BMW, VW and Mercedes.

Does Chevy even make the 2500 version of the Suburban anymore?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    What has been made in the last 5-7 years in the way of big diesel suvs with an engine equivalent to the 7.3 powerstroke?

Nothing has ever been made with an engine equivalent to the 7.3 powerstroke.

Get you a duarburb. It's a custom but it's a diesel suburban. Badass with tons of power. Ask krt about the one he had at his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

They stopped in 2013. But next year they are suppose to come out with a 2500 trim not sure if they are putting a diesel in it. Our work has inquired about these and thats why I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

Have two customers that tow 6k+Lb boats with the VW and Audi.

The new Jeep Cherokee with the diesel can pull up to 8k I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

I'd love to have one of them Excursions. Along with a Jeep CJ-7 or Scrambler, a '68 Camaro and '67 GTO.

But since I live in reality I've been looking at the Audi Q7. I had a TDI Jetta up til a couple years ago and in that time I grew quite fond of the German diesels. That q7 is AWD with seating for 7 and oh yeah, it gets 19mpg in the city and 28 on hwy. Now that I'm driving all over the state for work something that gets mileage that rivals that of a Camry but can easily pull a boat sounds like a good idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

One of the worst mistakes I ever made was letting the wife sell her 7.3 excursion
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Get a used Land Cruiser with a diesel conversion, or better yet an OEM diesel..
    At least I'm housebroken.

Why not buy a crew cab with a topper?

If you are tall the excursion the swing up rear door will bust your noggin when you lean in , thats what the lift is for lol. I don't know if they made them with ambulance doors or not but that would be the ticket. I always wanted one but always stuck with the f250 as I put entirely to much dead, bloody and stinky stuff in the back.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Have two customers that tow 6k+Lb boats with the VW and Audi.

The new Jeep Cherokee with the diesel can pull up to 8k I believe.
    Forgot about the Cherokee.

That Audi Q7 diesel I drove was badass.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Why not buy a crew cab with a topper?
    My wife, me, 4 kids, and normally a babysitter for vacations. Plus If we let one or two kids take friends... If they made a double crew cab ��
    Last edited by everlast; 10-26-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I know they make 4x4 vans (think work or church van, not soccer mom van). I bet they have a diesel one somewhere.

Lift, bigger tires, brush guard, and you're good to go. Use it as an OOS hunting vehicle as well and sleep in it.

My wife, me, 4 kids, and normally a babysitter for vacations. Plus If we let one or two kids take friends... If they made a double crew cab ��
    Buy a bus

Something similar to this. Sitka had a video with some guy driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Something similar to this. Sitka had a video with some guy driving it.

Wow. I'll have to look in to those. Not a bad idea.
    -Samuel Adams

Wow. I'll have to look in to those. Not a bad idea.
    Damn- I want 1