Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off The Grid Vehicles

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Off The Grid Vehicles

This article lists the top 10 off the grid vehicles. But this is the only one that is truly off the grid.

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-best-car...856043?ref=yfp

Wood Burning Pickup Truck

Again, what’s the point of having any sort of vehicle off the grid if you’re SOL when it comes time to fuel it? By converting your truck to run on gasified wood, your fuel supply is pretty much set as long as you’re near a forest with a chainsaw or an axe.

And you’ll never have to see that dreadful project car ever again.

Gotta be a wood (via gasification) burning truck, I mean you have unlimited fuel, 4wd and if you get an older one with a bench seat you can sleep in it too, add a power take off and a small generator and you’re set.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I would like to see this process, but i hear its dangerous.

Did the guy from Mountain Men do that in NC. If I remember correctly, they had some sort of explosion at some point. I think the vehicle loses a decent amount of power too, but I may be wrong.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Here's an article about it:

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...-gas-cars.html

The first use of wood gasification dates back to 1870s, when it was used as a forerunner of natural gas for street lighting and cooking.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 10-16-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Here's the only truck right for times like that.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148848

1st choice

2nd choice

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Here's the only truck right for times like that.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148848
    G

Don't ever trust government. Don't ever trust this sick society. Don't ever trust that law enforcement can protect you when you need it. -Duck Tape

IMO best off grid vehicle is a sailboat

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    I would like to see this process, but i hear its dangerous.
    I certainly wouldn't load my bed up with hay next to my wood burning barrel.

The range is pretty limited as well.

That Power Wagon is the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

No way I'd rely on a wood burning pickup. Too much work and too much to go wrong. What's wrong with $1.60 road fuel??
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    No way I'd rely on a wood burning pickup. Too much work and too much to go wrong. What's wrong with $1.60 road fuel??
    I think you are missing the point. Its about off the grid vehicles. You can't be off the grid if you stop at the bp every so many miles.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Bicycle, seems to be the best mode of transportation. Or horse drawn wagon.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

when "the time" comes, all those worthless horses eating up grass and sweet feed are gonna be back in business. Those living close to rivers and bodies of water will have access to longer travel (if your paddling arms are in shape.)

Think the mid 1800's......
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    I think you are missing the point. Its about off the grid vehicles. You can't be off the grid if you stop at the bp every so many miles.
    Oh I get it. Ain't too many "off the grid" locations in SC that a BP ain't close by...
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Oh I get it. Ain't too many "off the grid" locations in SC that a BP ain't close by...
    And still missing the point...

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    And still missing the point...
    hahahaha
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Nah dude. Ever watch Mountain Men or Man or whatever show?? Them fellas are much more "off the grid" than I could ever be and they ride to town now and then.

I'll give it to you, wood burning truck is a cool idea for backwoods living. I'd spend my time doing something other than chopping gasoline....

I'd imagine you'd go straight up Adam and Eve in the wood truck? Or am I still missing something...
    Go Tigers!

I guess they're thinking apocalyptic survival, that, maybe some emp or something where we can't barter or trade for a while, plus no pumps working for fuel, refineries, and such. That's if people play nice and they're not eaten or rapped. After a few years of joy riding and showing off what you had to your neighborhood which I assume most of you live in, you'll have to start cutting other people's trees..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I guess they're thinking apocalyptic survival, that, maybe some emp or something where we can't barter or trade for a while, plus no pumps working for fuel, refineries, and such. That's if people play nice and they're not eaten or rapped. After a few years of joy riding and showing off what you had to your neighborhood which I assume most of you live in, you'll have to start cutting other people's trees..
    Oh ok, now I get it! Thanks HS

Sounds like post-Rapture is what they are prepping for. I won't be around to help 'em chop anyways.
    Go Tigers!

rapped?