Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Orangeburg Tag meeting

Most of the time a good many of the does are taken care of with depredation tags. Also out of those 100 there are bucks in there. They are not all does and fawns.

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post

Ruth said NC was a tag system except the eastern part of the state. First thing that popped into my mind was that is the part of the state with ag. Big ag in eastern NC.
    When did he say this? He told me today on the phone that a 4 and 4 tag system would be the most liberal in the country and that NC would be the next closest with their eastern portion of the state having 3 tags.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Nope, management principles are the same. Low limits on bucks and increase limits on does can decrease the herd in any state or property.

What coon hunter is saying is true. His fields are one of the many places I can take you and show you those numbers. A good many of them will be bucks too.

Big timber you're contradicting yourself. Isn't this whole tagging system supposed to bring the numbers up not to even out deer herds and grom big bucks..... Sarcastic voice

Also I'm going to keep asking you till you answer me, why do you care what we do down here if you do not hunt here

Anywhere you see 100 in a field, your area has a unhealthy herd.

When herd health is brought up, most picture that deer photo with the warts.

That's not what they are referring to when biologist use the term herd health.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Nope, management principles are the same. Low limits on bucks and increase limits on does can decrease the herd in any state or property.
    My ignorance may be about to show. Iowa has 3.87 deer per square mile. SC has 21.88 deer per square mile. Iowa allows hunters to take 2 bucks yet we have over six times the number of deer so we want to limit the hunters to 4 bucks???
    And I will add, while at the same time reducing the number of does that a hunter can harvest???
    Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 10-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Looking at their makeup of wooded vs open agricultural land would explain alot.

SC used to be tied with Miss with 64 per sq mile.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-15-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Have you been to Iowa? Most of the deer are in certain counties 80% of the state flat and tillable. The deer densities in the counties with deer (river drainages) are similar to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Anywhere you see 100 in a field, your area has a unhealthy herd.

When herd health is brought up, most picture that deer photo with the warts.

That's not what they are referring to when biologist use the term herd health.

I can assure you there's nothing unhealthy about the deer herd here.

Herd health refers to buck to doe ratios during the rut......not whether he looks plump or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Big timber you're contradicting yourself. Isn't this whole tagging system supposed to bring the numbers up not to even out deer herds and grom big bucks..... Sarcastic voice
    A management system can do both by adjusting antlerless tags. Your lack of understanding isn't a contradiction on my behalf.

I am a SC residents the bill includes all of SC. If we could crave the Democrat counties out I would be all for it, the state tax rate could drop 1 or 2%. Ya'll can keep *******, Ott and Cobb.

Have you been to Iowa? Most of the deer are in certain counties 80% of the state flat and tillable. The deer densities in the counties with deer (river drainages) are similar to SC.
    Understood. Enough to make their ratio as high as SC? We do have cities and developments and open fields also.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Herd health refers to buck to doe ratios during the rut......not whether he looks plump or not.

I know what you were referring to and I still stand by my comment. The deer herd is healthy here....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Understood. Enough to make their ratio as high as SC? We do have cities and developments and open fields also.
    The counties I hunted were 45+ deer per sq mile. Still 70% was tillable meaning the woods held a bunch of deer after the corn was picked. Five years later there was less deer and damage, some of the hunters were not happy.

A management system can do both by adjusting antlerless tags. Your lack of understanding isn't a contradiction on my behalf.

I am a SC residents the bill includes all of SC. If we could crave the Democrat counties out I would be all for it, the state tax rate could drop 1 or 2%. Ya'll can keep *******, Ott and Cobb.
    Still didn't answer the question. You just used the democrat cop out again. I'm a SC resident as well and I could careless what y'all do in your GZ. If you opened Aug 15th as well I wouldn't care. If you could kill more than 5 deer I wouldn't care. It doesn't effect me.....
    Last edited by PJ1012; 10-15-2015 at 08:51 PM.

What do not understand? The bill in discussion is for all of SC. I am a SC resident and hunter. You are not in different world or state. I want the SC bill to pass. A low country senator is the sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    I know what you were referring to and I still stand by my comment. The deer herd is healthy here....
    I would speculate that most don't on here or realize why its important.

Guys we can argue on this until this time next year and will never agree. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just remember this, Rep Ott is on the ag committee.....