Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Bog

A bog without onion is un American! Most any good southern dish without onion is un American! You should fry up some extra onion good and crispy along with some buttmeat to snack on while preparing said southern dishes. Good grief, next thing you know it'll be recommended to drink unsweetened tea with a plate of chicken bog!
    U serious Clark?

All Pee Dee boys don't make chicken bog. The ones that can actually cook make pileau.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Use parboiled rice
    Parboiled rice is for prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Looks tasty josh

It is just had my 4th plate of it I hadn't had it in over a year and all this talk about it got me motivated to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Parboiled rice is for prisoners.
    That's what they fed y'all??

Y'all making me sick with all this egg, breakfast sausage, pressure cookers, blah, blah talk. That crap ain't bog. Thighs, Hillshire, Mahatma, salt, pepper. Sweet pickles and Pete. That's it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I had a bog with maple links once. It was good, but a bog is not made maple links. Smoked Sausage is the only way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Turned out delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet, get rid of the bread, it will kill you
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    All Pee Dee boys don't make chicken bog. The ones that can actually cook make pileau.
    yessir!

I got one right now I'm about to put the rice to. Flood party eats in Edisto.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

My wife cooked one also today.
    Bone....

For the 1st time I used a CanCooker to cook my chicken bog last night. Came out perfect in about an hour and a half. It took 55 min to cook the chicken and about 20 to cook the rice. The rice came out perfect.

"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Breakfast sausage beats Hillshire any day, try it some time.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    No matter what you end up with...make sure you have a fresh bottle of Texas Pete.
    Why would you fuck up a well crafted bog with hot sauce? I might put in a bit of hot sausage, but certainly nothing that would make a normal person comment about it being spicy.

The idea, see, is to create something that makes you want to eat it so fast your go fetch it can't keep up with your fork.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Breakfast sausage beats Hillshire any day, try it some time.
    Yes

The more pig grease you can get in that pot, the better your bog will taste.

I get the chicken right, set the stock aside, and then the work starts. Couple of onions chopped. Into the pot. Once they're worked, in goes the Jimmy Dean or something like that. If its a big ass pot, I'll go two tubes of regular and one hot. Cook all that up in your bog pot and don't drain a dadgum thing. Then I throw in the chicken, a righteous portion of smoked sausage, cause more is better in this case, and then carefully measured rice and stock. I prefer to use one small pack of mahatma saffron rice and the rest just regular old white rice. That one pack adds a nice color and in my opinion, saffron makes the dish. Again, pay attention to your water/rice ratio....there's nothing worse than sticky or crunchy rice after all that work. And pay attention to the heat. Really get it rolling for no more than three minutes and then turn the heat to low. Some people say don't take the lid off, I say fuck that. Stir that pot several times, but be quick about it. It promotes a good blend and evenly cooked rice. Also, bones, cartilage, and skin is a nasty aggravation too, so don't be a peckerhead. Take your time and pull that thighs meat apart clean of all that junk.

If you've got fresh duck, like North Dakota duck, where you've got so much you can't eat it, this is a great way to put a dent in it. Take the breast meat and sear it up in a hot cast iron skillet. Cook it rare and then slice it up across the grain in bites no bigger than and inch long. When the pot is tightening up, throw the duck into the pot and mix it in.

Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Yes

The more pig grease you can get in that pot, the better your bog will taste.

I get the chicken right, set the stock aside, and then the work starts. Couple of onions chopped. Into the pot. Once they're worked, in goes the Jimmy Dean or something like that. If its a big ass pot, I'll go two tubes of regular and one hot. Cook all that up in your bog pot and don't drain a dadgum thing. Then I throw in the chicken, a righteous portion of smoked sausage, cause more is better in this case, and then carefully measured rice and stock. I prefer to use one small pack of mahatma saffron rice and the rest just regular old white rice. That one pack adds a nice color and in my opinion, saffron makes the dish. Again, pay attention to your water/rice ratio....there's nothing worse than sticky or crunchy rice after all that work. And pay attention to the heat. Really get it rolling for no more than three minutes and then turn the heat to low. Some people say don't take the lid off, I say fuck that. Stir that pot several times, but be quick about it. It promotes a good blend and evenly cooked rice. Also, bones, cartilage, and skin is a nasty aggravation too, so don't be a peckerhead. Take your time and pull that thighs meat apart clean of all that junk.

If you've got fresh duck, like North Dakota duck, where you've got so much you can't eat it, this is a great way to put a dent in it. Take the breast meat and sear it up in a hot cast iron skillet. Cook it rare and then slice it up across the grain in bites no bigger than and inch long. When the pot is tightening up, throw the duck into the pot and mix it in.

Unbelievable

Sound advice!

"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Paella

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Paella
    Don't tease me.

How do you cook that without overcooking the fish and scallops?