Thread: Some Off Grid observations.

Default Some Off Grid observations.

I've been electrically challenged now for 23 years.Not just off grid but pretty much lectric free [at home].The generator(s) usually get gummed up carbs between use and I'll need to charge a battery for the diesel. I have a small battery bank and about 250 watts of solar panels that charge my cell phone (a flip phone incidentally) and run 1 13watt compact flourescent bulb when it ain't daylight before 6:30 AM for about 15 minutes. That's all it does. I will get a generator going for building projects that require power tools.
    It's not as difficult as folks think.It's real handy like to live across the road from you best buddy/brother.Make sure he has a garage with electricity and if not help him build one.Don't be shy about askin for a small corner in it for a fridge and freezer.Be sure to buy him a new laundry set and offer to pay to use it on Sunday.Don't forget to buy him a microwave and a TV for the garage either.
    Make sure your well at home is of the dug variety as
    it makes a handy place to hang a bucket to keep perishables cool.Drilled wells are also hard to get a bucket and rope down for water BTW.
    Forget about all them solar spotlights & battery operated this and that etc as most are junk and won't last long anyway.If you need a clock I suggest organic free range chickens (not the caged up variety or inorganic free range chickens).It's been my experience that they will go to roost when it's gettin on to dark and get up when it's gettin on to daylight.Hmmm chickens is smart when it's dark go to bed,when it's light get up,take note here.If it's dark and you want to drink late, light your kerosene lamp or sit in buddy's garage and watch TV.I reckon I've saved a few hundred thou by not buying all the electronic doodads like hi def TV etc that I can't use and no one really needs.Get you a couple good flashlights and a high end head lamp , you should be good to go.
    I kinda feel sorry for the Mennonites now with all their worldly ways and new fangled machinery ,sucks to be encumbered like that.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Damn, I'm kinda jealous.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Just what we needed today.... a self righteous ndn.

What is the world coming to?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Damn, I'm kinda jealous.
    The fact that you aren't in a Z71 somewhere in the Midwest is baffling to me
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

How do you get on the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    The fact that you aren't in a Z71 somewhere in the Midwest is baffling to me
    I've got some other hunts that I'm wanting to try and not enough vacation to do it all.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    How do you get on the Internet?
    The man "works" for a living. I use the term "works" very loosely when referring to HARV and his place of employment. Have you not read his comments in the Shoutbox before?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

One thing to note is fresh air circulation in your house.Open up basement windows as well as the upstars ones.If not you'll get you a humidity problem you won't like.Them little solar shithouse fans might be a good idea.

I take my work seriously , I'm serious about getting in here and signing on to SCD. Thanks Chuck! I find that "W" word to be over used and over rated.
    Last edited by HARV; 10-01-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Sup Harv. What's the countdown to Moosin' Season?

Went last week! I got a young bull neighbor got a cow!

Screw that. I like electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    You sure you didn't go to the bar? Lol
    G

Don't ever trust government. Don't ever trust this sick society. Don't ever trust that law enforcement can protect you when you need it. -Duck Tape

Lectrisity is cheep.

Yall better listen to THE Man. He gets it. Thanks for trying to teach these people. You Rock
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"