Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BOB/GHB

Forget mre's. You need to make your own dehydrated 100% organic free range all natural chicken. Anything else will give you anal cancer. And the last fucking thing you want to worry about while killing zombies is your anus.

No need to worry about bug out bags. Rambo didn't have a bug out bag.

I'm not as interested in a BOB (bug out bag) - I'm bugging in.

As for a "get back home" (GBH) bag, it's not a "zombie plan" thing or anything like that. It's a "something has happened, the roads are impassible, and I have to hoof it home" thing. Hopefully from work to home (your normal commute distance) or, really, maybe 50 to 100 miles. EMP (natural or man-made) are my biggest concern, but, hey, my car may still work, and, if so, I'm using it. Further than that distance, mindset and ability to improvise will make the difference.

Think... food, clothing, water, shelter - think maybe 5 days travel. Think light, compact, and durable.

Food first - You can make do with Coast Guard "cookies" and such. If you can avoid crap you have to cook, or even heat up, you can cut weight. Minimal kit of stuff to gather protein (fish, critters) in CASE your trip becomes an odyssey isn't a bad idea, but it should fit in a sandwich size ziplock or you're carrying too much. Freeze-dried stuff sounds all good until you think about carrying a stove, fuel, etc... etc... If you MUST, think about a hexane tab stove that folds up to nothing, and a canteen cup. When it come to food, realize it will be in a hot (and cold) trunk or cab, so make sure it's not going to go bad and/or need constant change-out.

Water - Everybody should have some water in their vehicle. But you may not have enough (probably WON'T have enough) to get any real distance, especially in hot weather. A compact but capable water purifying device and a hydration pouch should be on your list.

Clothing - what you have on your back? That may be enough, but you may have been on your way to Uncle Bob's funeral, and walking home in a suit is not ideal. So, stash a change of clothes in your car that will carry through bad weather and the normal lows and highs for the season. Blend in with the "crowd", but wear "earth tone" stuff that will allow you to fade out if you get off the road. Camo may or may not be a good idea. Avoid looking like Tommy Tactical but a light waterproof camo jacket doesn't stand out in a crowd. The idea is to avoid confrontation, not invite it ("look, Cletus, he looks like he may have a gun. Shoot him in the grape and let's go find out"). Keep it simple. Who care what you smell like when you get home. Don't go nuts on extra clothes, but I recommend some clean dry socks in a ziplock. And, please, have comfortable, waterproof, and durable boots. Cap or hat, sunglasses.

Shelter - you may have to spend some nights on the way. I like the idea of something that can be set up almost anywhere and keeps me dry and bugs off. Hennessy hammocks... stuff like that. Got trees, have shelter. Off the ground. PRACTICE setting it up, in the dark, and taking it down. Practice taking it down FAST and quietly. In cold weather, a light but capable sleeping bag (earth tones...) would be worth it's weight in gold. This may take a lot of room, but worth it.

Other stuff - the basics.

• IFAK
    • Knife or knives (sheath and folding)
    • Folding saw - for fire wood and shelter building
    • Lighter
    • LED Flashlight AND a good LED headlamp
    • Batteries for the lights.
    • Cell phone charger (I use a Jackery) that is CHARGED
    • Consider a solar phone charger (your phone MAY work)
    • A concealable firearm and a couple of spare magazines.
    • IF (big IF...) it seems you need more firepower to get home, we can discuss that later.
    • Have a 5-10 day supply of your needed Rx meds with you.
    • Paracord - a good bit. Lots of uses.
    • Toilet paper
    • Signal mirror
    • Insect repellant
    • Sunscreen
    • Compact but powerful binoculars (light)
    • Notepad and pen (Rite in Rain)
    • Compass
    • Compact set of laminated maps of the area - keep them in the car and only take what you need when you leave your vehicle. Otherwise it takes up too much room.
    • Honestly - a GPS would be nice if you could keep it shielded. I would bet the GPS system would keep chugging in the event of an EMP event (high orbit).

I'll think of more later. I'd pack all of the above in a tan, OD, or brown pack that is just big enough and has a decent suspension system. Again - blend in.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 10-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Food first - You can make do with Coast Guard "cookies" and such. If you can avoid crap you have to cook, or even heat up, you can cut weight. Minimal kit of stuff to gather protein (fish, critters) in CASE your trip becomes an odyssey isn't a bad idea, but it should fit in a sandwich size ziplock or you're carrying too much. Freeze-dried stuff sounds all good until you think about carrying a stove, fuel, etc... etc... If you MUST, think about a hexane tab stove that folds up to nothing, and a canteen cup. When it come to food, realize it will be in a hot (and cold) trunk or cab, so make sure it's not going to go bad and/or need constant change-out.

Water - Everybody should have some water in their vehicle. But you may not have enough (probably WON'T have enough) to get any real distance, especially in hot weather. A compact but capable water purifying device and a hydration pouch should be on your list. (Lifestraw, Platypus, Sawyer)

Clothing - what you have on your back? That may be enough, but you may have been on your way to Uncle Bob's funeral, and walking home in a suit is not ideal. So, stash a change of clothes in your car that will carry through bad weather and the normal lows and highs for the season. Blend in with the "crowd", but wear "earth tone" stuff that will allow you to fade out if you get off the road. Camo may or may not be a good idea. Avoid looking like Tommy Tactical but a light waterproof camo jacket doesn't stand out in a crowd. I have a set of Cabelas packable waterproof jacket and pants. Very small and lightweight. The idea is to avoid confrontation, not invite it ("look, Cletus, he looks like he may have a gun. Shoot him in the grape and let's go find out"). Keep it simple. Who care what you smell like when you get home. Don't go nuts on extra clothes, but I recommend some clean dry socks in a ziplock. And, please, have comfortable, waterproof, and durable boots. Cap or hat, sunglasses. Sea to Summit as well as other companies make waterproof compression bags available in different sizes. They work great for keeping clothes compressed and together. In a SHTF scenario I'm not going to care if they are wrinkled to hell or not. I know that I can put the clothes in the compression bags and then in my pack and have enough clothes for several days and they will stay dry if I need to cross a river.

Shelter - you may have to spend some nights on the way. I like the idea of something that can be set up almost anywhere and keeps me dry and bugs off. Hennessy hammocks... stuff like that. Got trees, have shelter. Off the ground. PRACTICE setting it up, in the dark, and taking it down. Practice taking it down FAST and quietly. In cold weather, a light but capable sleeping bag (earth tones...) would be worth it's weight in gold. This may take a lot of room, but worth it. A cheap Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro has a built in bug net. Not nearly as nice of a hammock as my warbonnet blackbird but it would do. I also have a Warbonnet Superfly tarp that would work for keeping me dry in a torrential downpour if I needed to wait out a storm. Both these items comes in small stuff sacks and take up very little room.

Other stuff - the basics.

• IFAK
    • Knife or knives (sheath and folding)
    • Folding saw - for fire wood and shelter building
    • Lighter
    • LED Flashlight AND a good LED headlamp
    • Batteries for the lights.
    • Cell phone charger (I use a Jackery) that is CHARGED
    • Consider a solar phone charger (your phone MAY work)
    • A concealable firearm and a couple of spare magazines.
    • IF (big IF...) it seems you need more firepower to get home, we can discuss that later.
    • Have a 5-10 day supply of your needed Rx meds with you.
    • Paracord - a good bit. Lots of uses.
    • Toilet paper
    • Signal mirror
    • Insect repellant
    • Sunscreen
    • Compact but powerful binoculars (light)
    • Notepad and pen (Rite in Rain)
    • Compass
    • Compact set of laminated maps of the area - keep them in the car and only take what you need when you leave your vehicle. Otherwise it takes up too much room.
    • Honestly - a GPS would be nice if you could keep it shielded. I would bet the GPS system would keep chugging in the event of an EMP event (high orbit).

I'll think of more later. I'd pack all of the above in a tan, OD, or brown pack that is just big enough and has a decent suspension system. Again - blend in.
    Added a few comments and ideas to think about.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I'm taking over Costco. Or maybe a Quick Trip.

One suggestion that may help some folks who really don't put much thought into keeping electronics in a BOB --

Get a Pelican Micro case. Take whatever batteries (AA, AAA, etc.) and put them in said case; toss in a paper towel to prevent rattle. As most of you geniuses know, batteries corrode easily when stored in electronics. Some items may even leach electricity. Get some of the "advanced" Duracells, and store them properly. It's likely you'll never need this shit, but if you did, it'd suck big 'ole hairy donkey balls if your piss poor planing led to your own demise.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 10-02-2015 at 09:13 AM.

I'll bet some of you had a panic attack playing Oregon Trail as a kid...
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 10-02-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'm taking over Costco. Or maybe a Quick Trip.
    Do me a favor and put brisket on sale when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Jan Sport backpack. Black/Grey. Very common looking.

IFAK
    33rd Glock 9mm mags (2x)
    Headlamp flashlight w/ red lens
    Multi Tool
    Fire starter kit
    Solar/Hand crank AM/FM radio
    2 -way radios (2x)
    Life Straw
    Nalgene Bottle
    Camelbak (bladder & hose only)
    MREs, field stripped (3x)
    100' 550 cord
    10' 100MPH tape (wrapped around Nalgene bottle)
    Poncho + Poncho Liner + Space Blanket
    Military map sheet of home + map case, compass, protractor, map pens
    What is an IFAK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Individual First Aid Kit
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Individual First Aid Kit
    AKA- duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    What is an IFAK?
    Its the rad cool way to say first aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    No one better go to Hutchinson because that's where I'm going and will do what's necessary to make it mine. Yall can keep your nutrition tablets.
    That's cool, I'm going to Morgan. I've been secretly training monkey's for the past 8 years. Y'all better stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Its the rad cool way to say first aid kit.
    Tactical...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    That's cool, I'm going to Morgan. I've been secretly training monkey's for the past 8 years. Y'all better stay away.
    Are you going to have them throw poop at anyone that crosses the wire?

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    Where the hell are you bugging out to? If you've gone through all the trouble of getting 18 years worth of beans, seems like you'd want to hang around?

And where are you going to be that you don't know how to get home?
    http://www.wltx.com/story/news/2015/...hour/73365640/

Boom

Good point. I talked to a couple yesterday trying to get back to Savannah. He was using his phone as a map and was lucky he had service

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Good point. I talked to a couple yesterday trying to get back to Savannah. He was using his phone as a map and was lucky he had service
    Download the navionics app. It works without cell service.

It's really funny how many of the anti government crowd are making fun of folks that are preparing for what will more than likely be the results of a corrupt government.