Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bucks and Tags

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    It's not about being a bad person or hunter its about protecting a resource. The proposed will be like the flu shot, it ain't gonna be a cure all for every strain but it will be pretty beneficial over a broad spectrum
    How is growing bigger antlers protecting the resource? It is protecting your (possibly not you but a general term) agenda. Protecting the resource is maintaining sustainable numbers, preventing disease, protecting against over harvest, etc. None of which we have a problem with, according to Ruth, in SC. Don't confuse having more 140+ than the year before with protecting the resource. When it comes to protecting the resource, size does NOT matter.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

But of course most hunters in SC don't care about old, big antlered bucks!
    They just want to feed their family and have fun right?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    How is growing bigger antlers protecting the resource? It is protecting your (possibly not you but a general term) agenda. Protecting the resource is maintaining sustainable numbers, preventing disease, protecting against over harvest, etc. None of which we have a problem with, according to Ruth, in SC. Don't confuse having more 140+ than the year before with protecting the resource. When it comes to protecting the resource, size does NOT matter.
    Once again, it's not!
    It's about letting them mature and the population reaching a level of maturity the would normally occur when they are not being shot a 1.5 and 2.5 years old.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

With DNR rearranging the game zones this year,is this the first step in helping them inforce this new tag system coming in near future or a way to help serve the public more with calls of concern

Big antlers are just a nice byproduct of mature bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Once again, it's not!
    It's about letting them mature and the population reaching a level of maturity the would normally occur when they are not being shot a 1.5 and 2.5 years old.
    Cali - what is wrong with the average age of the herd being 2.5 years old vs 3.5 years old? Does this create a reproductive issue? Disease issue?
    Playing devils advocate and trying to understand ALL the different ways of looking at this.

From 9-23-2015

Alrighty....Hypothetically speaking there is a tract of well managed land with a well balanced age structure of wood goats, plenty of mature (for the sake of argument 3+ years and older) bucks and does.
    When breeding commences albeit Kansas or SC, 99% of the breeding is done my mature bucks. The sheer presence of these mature bucks suppresses the desire or NEED of the immature (1-2 YO) bucks to participate in the breeding. They are able to grow and develop into healthy young males since #1 they are not shot, and #2 they do not participate in the breeding. These mature bucks enter the breeding season fat, strong, healthy, and with bodies capable of sustaining a 50+ pound binge weigh loss and still are able to make it through the post breeding season strong and healthy.

On the other hand is the brown it's down property....nobody cares, kill em all!
    Thus the age structure in the area is way out of balance because they die before maturity. Therefore, there are no adult males to do the breeding and suppress most of the young males from breeding. So, the breeding has to be done by a group of dumb children.....Children with undeveloped bodies not capable of recovering from the rigors of breeding. They get injured, sick, weak, more prone to infections and fatal parasite infestations.
    So in short, a single buck as you put it CANNOT breed an entire area and killing unlimited bucks DOES indeed have an effect on the overall herd health.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-29-2015 at 08:36 PM.

How do turkeys do it?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

So in short, a single buck as you put it CANNOT breed an entire area
    Uh, I never said this.

Good post Cali. And there you have it folks.

No one is hell bent on wiping out the jake population.
    In fact, killing a jake is looked down upon by most.
    But if its a yearling buck, its ok?? Doesnt make sense either.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 09-29-2015 at 08:54 PM.

They get injured, sick, weak, more prone to infections and fatal parasite infestations.
    Now this is the first that I have heard of widespread injured, sick, weak, infected and parasite infested deer in SC. Now this is something I can get behind - plan to keep all of this from happening. And hear I was thinking that we have so many deer that thousands are shot with depredation permits, yet we actually have an unhealthy herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Uh, I never said this.
    No you did not, that was Cottontop the Great!
    This I posted last week in the Florence thread...

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How do turkeys do it?
    In the cloaca!

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Good post Cali. And there you have it folks.

No one is hell bent on wiping out the jake population.
    In fact, killing a jake is looked down upon by most.
    But if its a yearling buck, its ok?? Doesnt make sense either.
    I like killing 2 yr olds... Of all species..

I need at least 10 jakes to feed my family. We eat a lot of turkey.

My dad eats chicken, pigs and cows..

He loves to kill the crap out of yearling bucks and mourning doves..

SRR, can you state what your ideal deer management plan would be for sc? Not a dissertation, but maybe just a few sentences. Serious here. Not stirring up shit.
    \"Go to Know\"

SSR, there are 2 ways to look at it. You are either for it or against it. Scenario after scenario can be brought up and put into play. Our herd, as someone posted a few post back has been abused for years. This whole argument has transitioned from depredation, to I gotta feed my family, until now it's I don't care about big bucks and we can't grow them. Anyone can say what they want to, but the fact of the matter is that no one knows what SC is capable of producing as a whole. Most of our bucks do not tend to get to live long enough to even remotely reach maturity. The ones who don't care about "big bucks" will still be free to shoot any buck of their choice. They will just be asked to be stopped at a reasonable number. That is all.

A jake barely makes a decent tureky club sandwich. How am i going to feed my family all year on turkey if I can only shoot 5? Its bullshit really

Cali, try to think about what you tract has that most others do not. There has to be something other than trigger control going on. Are you planting year ariund, supplemental feeding, etc? We had the club I manage for about 8 years and to my knowledge jo one has ever seen or had a camera picture anywhere close to the ones ya'll are posting. I'd like to learn from you guys and do something different on our place

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk