Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Rifle_Please Help

Those tikkas shoot sweet as do the Winchesters. I love ruger firearms, but I am not a fan of a ruger centerfire bolt gun. I've had 3 and im not impressed.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Kimber is a pistol company that started making rifles, Remington/Browning/Winchester/Ruger are rifle companies that tried to make pistols. If you want a good rifle, get it from a company known for rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Salty's Winchester M70...

But if it must be new, a Sako 85...

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    Kimber is a pistol company that started making rifles, Remington/Browning/Winchester/Ruger are rifle companies that tried to make pistols. If you want a good rifle, get it from a company known for rifles.

Browning has never been a "rifle" company, Browning is a gun company. They do a lot of things very well but not one thing exceptional.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Browning has never been a "rifle" company, Browning is a gun company. They do a lot of things very well but not one thing exceptional.

I agree with that, it was a general statement in regards to Kimber rifles.

“The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

That Sako 85 stainless hunter is gorgeous
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

There's a ruger with a wood stock in the trading post. I think its a 30-06. Not a tack driver but good enough for deer.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

You really short change yourself by demanding it must be new.
    Must of the new stuff doesn't hold a candle to the old models

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    You really short change yourself by demanding it must be new.
    Must of the new stuff doesn't hold a candle to the old models
    Truth, that SG I have for sale is a $1,400.00 rifle new. Hit the pawn shops, Gunbroker, Armslist etc., you have to weed through a lot of BS but occasionally you find a real gem.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    Kimber is a pistol company that started making rifles
    There have been three Kimbers.

Kimber of Oregon

Kimber of America

Kimber Manufacturing

Kimber of Oregon started out making higher end rimfires, then moved into centerfires (the M89) which bankrupted the company.

Kimber of America imported Mausers and made factory sporters out of them.

Kimber Manufacturing is the current iteration, which is, as you say, more of a pistol maker than a rifle maker.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Ok so let me back-up a bit on my, must be new, statement. If I can trust someone, i.e., Salty or one of you regulars on here, I would buy a used rifle. I don't know enough about what to look for to pick one up off a pawnshop rack like I would a classic shotgun. With that being said, the other reason I need to buy new is a I have an absolute ass of gift cards to Cabelas. Like nearly $1,000 worth. So, I clearly want to use these on a rifle.

Options include (in no particular order):
    - Winchester M70 Featherweight (wood with stainless)
    - Kimber Classic
    - Tikka T3 (I assume this comes in wood)
    - Sako 85 (I love them all but would likely be considering the Hunter certainly is pricer than the other options)
    - Remington is out (I'm loyal and have an ass of Remington shotguns - can't ignore what I know having family previously in a C-suite position there)
    - Browning - honestly I have no real reason but I'm just not a fan of the way their rifles look.

Others? First hand knowledge and opinions welcomed. Thanks guys...

other than kimber being a "pistol" co. what do you have against them. I've owned mine for nearly 20 years, no telling how many shots fired thru it, and never an ounce of trouble with it.
    this is not to start an argument, just curious...
    rip Dakota

I have only seen Tikka's in synthetic

Early Kimber rifles(post M98 series) had some accuracy issues across the board of calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    other than kimber being a "pistol" co. what do you have against them. I've owned mine for nearly 20 years, no telling how many shots fired thru it, and never an ounce of trouble with it.
    this is not to start an argument, just curious...
    Not really "against" Kimber, just that you can't compare a Kimber of Oregon to a Kimber of America to Kimber Manufacturing. Kimber of Oregon made the M89, Kimber of America imported Mausers, sporterized them, and sold them as Kimber M98s, Kimber Manufacturing makes the current M84.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I have only seen Tikka's in synthetic
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I think it all comes down to how much time you are willing to invest into the gun. Most guns (I repeat most guns) built today will kill a deer at 300yds if you take the time to figure out what ammo they like and any other little differences. Find the gun you like and put in the time to get it dialed in. I went through multiple different brands of ammo, with multiple grain bullets before I found the one it like the best. I'm sure hand loads would be better.

Its your gun, who cares what it is as long as you can shoot it.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Tikka or M70

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    Not really "against" Kimber, just that you can't compare a Kimber of Oregon to a Kimber of America to Kimber Manufacturing. Kimber of Oregon made the M89, Kimber of America imported Mausers, sporterized them, and sold them as Kimber M98s, Kimber Manufacturing makes the current M84.

damnnn girl!
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 09-28-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Ok so let me back-up a bit on my, must be new, statement. If I can trust someone, i.e., Salty or one of you regulars on here, I would buy a used rifle. I don't know enough about what to look for to pick one up off a pawnshop rack like I would a classic shotgun. With that being said, the other reason I need to buy new is a I have an absolute ass of gift cards to Cabelas. Like nearly $1,000 worth. So, I clearly want to use these on a rifle.

Options include (in no particular order):
    - Winchester M70 Featherweight (wood with stainless)
    - Kimber Classic
    - Tikka T3 (I assume this comes in wood)
    - Sako 85 (I love them all but would likely be considering the Hunter certainly is pricer than the other options)
    - Remington is out (I'm loyal and have an ass of Remington shotguns - can't ignore what I know having family previously in a C-suite position there)
    - Browning - honestly I have no real reason but I'm just not a fan of the way their rifles look.

Others? First hand knowledge and opinions welcomed. Thanks guys...
    Yes, the Tikka T3 comes in a wood stocked variant. That's a sort of odd mis-mash of rifles. Mauser/mauser variant and two completely different actions. None of the choices are bad at all, I'd lump the Tikka, M70 and Kimber into one group and put the Sako about 2 notches higher than any of them. The actions and fit/finish are just that much better. You'd be well served by all of them, it's just a matter of what you're willing to spend and looking for long term.

Here's an article that gives the basic differences on the T3, A7 and 85 actions. It's not a full write up but kind of gives you the separation of the Tikka and more expensive 85.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    I think it all comes down to how much time you are willing to invest into the gun. Most guns (I repeat most guns) built today will kill a deer at 300yds if you take the time to figure out what ammo they like and any other little differences. Find the gun you like and put in the time to get it dialed in. I went through multiple different brands of ammo, with multiple grain bullets before I found the one it like the best. I'm sure hand loads would be better.

Its your gun, who cares what it is as long as you can shoot it.
    Your last statement is very true. I do like the way the Featherweight and Kimber feel the most. I've not shouldered or shot a T3. They look a bit more bulky. Need to go put my hands on one though...