Thread: Hevi-Shot vs. Kent Impact

How do the Hevi-Shot and Kent Impact shells compare? I've never shot the Kent Impact shells. I shot the Hevi-Shot for the first time last Saturday and the ducks fell DEAD. Are the Kent Impact shells just as good, better, or worse?
    Thanks,
    TheHawg

I like the Kent Impact shells - they behave like lead shot, pattern like lead, and can be fired in older guns not rated for steel (and thus, not rated for Hevi-Shot).

If the gun can handle the shot, they are both good, and I have shot both.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The Impact shells are death's agents. The 1560 FastSteel's are the shit that killed Elvis out of a Patternmaster. Can you shoot worth a damn? No need to pay $24 for a box of 10 if you can shoot, IMHO. They do kill with extreme effectiveness, though.

I have been shooting both. Hevishot patterns a little better and in the field I give it a bit of an edge. Both are way better than I’ll ever be, but I try to make every shell count. I’ve examined both pellets and found the Hevishot to be pretty ugly by lead shot standards. The Matrix looks pretty good, so I was bewildered why the Hevishot patterns better. The only conclusion I came to is that the Hevishot seems to be egg shaped with some pellets actually having little pieces attached to them. Knowing that it does not deform beyond that, it must fly similar to a dart for lack of a better term, where the heaviside of the pellet leads. Whereas the Matrix becomes flattened a bit and veers off course. I don’t know, but what I do know is both will kill very well if you do your part.

The hevi-shot has been in my gun the last 2 years, and has performed well. I bought a box of Impact Tungsten for opening day, and let me tell you- IT IS THE DEATH BRINGER. I killed both geese and mallards, and there was no flapping/wing waving when these birds fell. Stone dead. Very lethal, but very expensive.

UpstateAngler,
    What shot size were you shooting?
    TheHawg

HAWG, I shot #2's opening day. Geese were shot fairly close, they were locked-up and coming in. Mallards were decoying well, so they were fairly close too. However, later in the morning, I took a fairly long shot on a greenhead and dropped him stone dead. I've read/heard about 80 yard kills, but never seen anyone do it. I'd feel real good about 55-60 yards with this stuff. I shot a couple of pattern rounds at Greenville Gun Club and it groups nicely out of my 870 at 45 paces. Also, the Remington Nitro Steel patterns well out of my gun- better than the Hevi-shot.

i cant shoot well when im worried about blowing $2.50 on a miss.

Originally posted by Sportin' Woodies:
    No shit! Expensive ass shells but i been itching to get some and see what the fuss is about.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Originally posted by Sportin' Woodies:
    Yea but you'll make them $2.50 shots count, especially if you shootin a pump.

I load HS 6's for my son's 16 and I shot some out of my 16 for the GA opener. Shot like shit and only killed one woodie, but he was graveyard dead before hitting the water. Then bought an 870 since it was cheaper than a 26" bbl for my 1100 and shot 2-3/4 Fasteel 3's. I've used it and the fasteel exclucively since then and everything I've shot has been just as dead when it hit the water. Very impressed with the fasteel and it's a helluva lot cheaper.