Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: New Duck Impoundment.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I can enlighten you.

South Carolina has our fair share of bent-brimmed idiots meddling in everything from frog gigging to offshore fishing.
    Duck hunting is no exception.

BUT, we also put out some of the best duck hunters in the nation.

Since the early 90s, SC's public duck hunting has been a lot of knowledge of the area you're hunting and how birds will use it, why, and when....that, mixed with a touch of luck.

The 2 guys that can consistently kill 9-12 birds on public land here don't do so by chance. They know their area and how ducks use it at given times.
    That knowledge is learned by trial and error, and years of experience.
    It's the years of figuring out how to kill a few ducks when there may only be a handful out there.
    It's the trial and error of figuring out something that the others around you haven't.
    It's why these ducks will swing low over this treeline on this particular day when they usually are too high to work you.
    It's knowing that on certain times ducks will funnel through an area when they usually choose another path.
    It's knowing where you need to be, what you need do, when, and why.

In states that winter thousands upon thousands of ducks, this detailed knowledge isn't needed.
    Sheer numbers of waterfowl and statistics state that sooner or later, you'll kill a few even if you stand in the field in a white tshirt.

I've hunted ducks across this country, and I can tell you with utmost certainty, it is not hard to kill 6 ducks From Mississippi west.
    It just isn't.

Now, on to those landowners that choose to spend their money flooding impoundments here vs saving a pile of that money and just travelling west.
    It's because this is home. And I can't explain it, but watching 50 pintails flutter over a Carolina ricefield is far more appealing to us than watching 500 work some field in shit hole Arkansas. It's because this is home.
    It's because duck hunting is a part of our heritage. It's because our ancestors have been killing pintails in that very same ricefield for nearly 300 years.
    It's because no amount of money or No amount of waterfowl in another state is as nice as the Carolina lowcountry.
    It's home to us.

I'm sure I'd feel differently had I grown up in Idaho......
    Im a little late to the game,but damn good post Bog
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Scrolling through all 13 pages of this post is at the top of things I regret most in my life. Brain cells and time, gone forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You Didn't learn anything??