Thread: Yo Snake J

Need to pick your brain. I have inherited a Colt .38 Police Positive. What's the difference in this cartridge compared to the other .38's? Cannot find the .38 P+ rounds on the shelves of the local stores. Pistol possibly made in the 1950's. Tried searching the net, but still as befuddled as before. Can you help out? jonreb

If gun was made in the 50's then I would be wary about shooting the +P ammunition in it. Some of the older .38's are not built sturdy enough to handle that hot a load.

Thank you wb, your suggetion appreciated. The pistol in question is chambered for the .38 P+. I seem to recall there was some difference in the configuration of the cartridge rim, of the .38P+, that allowed the pistol to accept only that round. My late father remained proficient with this Colt, until his death in '92. Through the years, the rounds that were removed have been stored in some place that they may never again may be found. It just seems that there was something different about the rim of that cartridge.

Do not shoot 38 special + P's in that gun. The only difference between a .38 special and the + P loading is the pressure. All you want to shoot in any older .38 special is standard .38 special ammo. If you're interested in carrying the pistol for protection I'd suggest loading it with the Federal Nyclad 125 grain .38 specail hollow point.

Snake
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Originally posted by jonreb:
    The pistol in question is chambered for the .38 P+.
    1950's +P and today's is a bit different. This picture should be enough to discourage you from trying to attempt such a feat.

appreciate the info. I now understand. I was not even aware that the .38 P+ cartridge was still being manufactured today. You are correct USMCs, I have no desire in damaging this pistol, nor blowing my head off doing so. That's one of the benefits of conversing with the members on this web, where you find folks who stay current on the different aspects of our interest. I will try the .38 Special, which Snake suggested. Thanks all.