Thread: .17 Caliber

Thinking of purchasing a .17 caliber. I was looking at the Ruger .17 HMR 96/17.

Anybody have any experience with this gun? Or one similar?

I know Offshore has one, but I don't remember the make.

My daughter has been shooting a .22 @ camp, I thought a .17 would be fun for both of us to use.

I have to brag a little, and I will post up picts later of the target, but @ 30 yards with iron sites, she got 36 points out of 50 with 5 shots. Dad got 32 on visiting day. Did I mention that she is 8. Her high for the summer is 44.

I want to keep her interested until next summer, and thought a .17 would be a good gun.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

I've got a savage 17 hmr and i like it alot, my daughter and wife likes to shoot it as well. just bought a new scope for it a bsa sweet 17 6-18x40 with the bullet drop compensation for the .17 grain hmr bullets. can't wait to get that put on a play with it a bit.

I believe you and your daughter will like it alot. i'd look at the savage line, the one it got has got the accu-trigger on it and i believe that helps out alot with my daughter on actually squeezing the trigger and not just pulling or yanking on the trigger.

Hope this helps.

Definitely get one, no matter what brand you favor. It is deadly accurate out to 100 yards or more. If you hunt "tree rats" make sure to take head shots only or there won't be much to pick up. I've quit shooting the .22 since I got the .17...
    \"If you make men think that they are thinking... you will be loved. But if you truely make a man think... he will hate you\" Theodore Roosevelt

I'm thoroughly hooked on the 17. It is amazingly flat shooting and accurate. My 22's don't get any attention anymore. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com and you will find a ton of info.

Savage's always get rave reviews. Lots of folks convert Ruger 10/22's to 17's. Remington makes a semi that gets good reviews.

The 20 grain Gamepoint bullets aren't as devastating on squirrel body shots as the 17 grain plastic tipped bullets but headshots are still recommended. The bright side is that head shots are possible at whatever range you can see a squirrel.

Get a scope with plenty of magnification. I got a Weaver Grand Slam 6x20x42 on the recommendation of CWPINST and I love it.

I am definitely not a gunsmith, but I have built a couple of 10/22's, and have spent a small (well, actually not that small) fortune doing so. But I have not yet converted one to a 17 cal. My next build will definitely be a 10/22 converted to a 17 M2, but that is certainly not the cheap way to go. The conversion kits that I have seen include a carbon fiber .920 barrel and a heavy bolt assembly, and they run from $270 to $375. Throw in a standard 10/22 carbine at $180 (just for the reciever) and a custom stock at $150, and you have already spent $600 before optics and other gadgetry (trigger assembly, extra magazines, etc).

Bug, I saw the pics of your 17 cal - Did you build it yourself?

Wad Shooter,

No. Mine is a Volquartsen Lightweight with a Barracuda stock. I thought about building one and as you point out, it can get expensive. I still might do one as a project though, maybe in 17M2.

What I really want to do is make an arrow barrel for a 10/22.
    arrow barrel

This seems like it would be the ideal weapon for suburban deer thinning and hunting deer close to a residence. A 435 fps arrow is screaming fast and it only makes the noise of a .22 blank.

I only own one savage and it is the .17hmr in synthetic w/stainless bull barrel. It is a bad caliber and fun to shoot.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I've got four .17's. A Savage .17 mach2, a Marlin .17 mach2, a Thompson Contender .17 hmr rifle, and a Taurus 17 hmr pistol. If you get a 17 hmr get a BSA Sweet 17 scope they are great.

catchdog,

If you were to build a 10/22 for primarily squirrel hunting, would you go with m2 or hmr? What do you use yours for, hogs, squirrels?

PB, not jump in on your conversation but I would go w/hmr. Most of the gun guys I talk with don't think the mach2 is going to make it.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

P-bug
    For squirrels I'ld use the M2. It doesn't mess the meat up, the bullets are cheaper, and it's not loud. I've killed a fox at about 50yds, and a penned hog a 25yds. They all fell in their tracks, and the foxes eyes popped out. The man I got the HMR rifle from used it to shoot deer.

Catch and Bug,

As I understand it, the 17 HMR would have to be built from 10/22 in 22 mag (22wmr) which is hard to come by. The 17M2 can be built from a standard 10/22 LR which can be found in most gun safes and/or retailers.

I have also hear that the 17's only work in the rotary style mags, not the hi-cap single or double stacks.

The arrow barrel is a neat idea. As far as the idea for urban hunting, I am in the process of solving the noise part of the problem. I recently purchased a suppressor which is pending BATF approval and one of my 10/22 builds already has a threaded barrel waiting on its arrival. I realize, of course, that the other part of the problem is the bullet(s).