Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Process Question

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Not sure why you bought a 300 blackout without planning to put a can on it. 300 blackout isn't a very impressive cartridge unless it's subsonic and suppressed. Even then, there might be better choices.

This a rhetorical statement that's really a question. Is there any good reason to have a 300 blackout if it's not suppressed? It's otherwise a very weak .308 bullet. Weaker than a 30/30. If it ain't silent...why? Wouldn't a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 CM be a better choice for a non-standard (deer capable) AR round?
    Got a good deal on it from someone. The can is in the works, in the meantime I am going to shoot a hog in the face with it.

I think a 110-gr Barnes TAC-X in a supersonic load out of a shortish AR would be the tits on hogs and deer out to a 100 yards or so.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I think a 110-gr Barnes TAC-X in a supersonic load out of a shortish AR would be the tits on hogs and deer out to a 100 yards or so.
    I agree and already have 4 boxes. I have a 16 inch barrel but its not like I cant change it. The gun as it is right now, groups best with the Nosler 125 grain match grade green tips

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    About it. Mine went about like this:

1. Set up a NFA trust. You can skip this step, but a trust is the best long-term route.
    2. Buy the suppressor. If PSA has it on the shelf, you're golden. If not, and you have to order it online, have them or some other Class III dealer be the shipping point for it.
    3. Submit the paperwork to the ATF and a check for $200.
    4. Wait while the Class III dealer keeps the suppressor in "ATF Jail". The wait can be 8+ weeks.
    5. When the Class III dealer gets your approved tax stamp back from the ATF, he'll call you and you go get your suppressor (via 4473 form).
    Does the suppressor have to be bought first, because you have to list it specifically on the form, or can you 1)set up trust 2)apply for stamp 3)Buy suppressor??
    Pardon the ignorance as I haven't looked at the form yet, but have set up my trust. Ready to move forward now.
    Thanks for the info!

You need the suppressor info in order to apply for the stamp.

Figured...Thanks!

This thread answers a lot of good questions - would make a good sticky

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Does the suppressor have to be bought first, because you have to list it specifically on the form, or can you 1)set up trust 2)apply for stamp 3)Buy suppressor??
    Pardon the ignorance as I haven't looked at the form yet, but have set up my trust. Ready to move forward now.
    Thanks for the info!
    When you set up the trust, you need something to "fund" the trust. It doesn't have to be a NFA item. I originally funded mine with an AR. When I got my first NFA item, I had to modify my addendum that lists the items owned by the trust and add the new item.

[QUOTE=Palmetto Bug;2050885]When you set up the trust, you need something to "fund" the trust. It doesn't have to be a NFA item. I originally funded mine with an AR. When I got my first NFA item, I had to modify my addendum that lists the items owned by the trust and add the new item.[/QUOTE

Are you sure about that?

I think I started mine up with $1 in funds.

Couple of questions before I jump... soon...

- Since the NFA Trust is a separate legal entity, do you just purchase items in the Trust's name, or do you have to 'fund' the Trust to make the purchase?

- What kind of names have you given your Trust? "Swamp Rat's NFA Trust"... "B.B.T. Family NFA Trust"? ... etc?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My attorney used my initials
    CDS NFA Revocable Trust to name the trust
    It can be abbreviated to CDS NFA rev tr when engraving for a Form1
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-23-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I initially funded mine with a dollar. Mine is my last name then NFA Trust.

About to send of my SBR paperwork

Swamp why not do the sbr electronically? It is actually fairly easy to do on the atf website.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Last time i checked they weren't taking electronic submissions but I'll check again. That was a while back.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/44...w_Thread_.html

Did mine today, let me rephrase finished mine this evening their site is down every Wednesday 6a to 6p for updates and maintenance.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-23-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Well then, that's my route

Great info, Chuck & Swamp. That's helpful to know.

OK, I guess I lied and didn't mean to... a few more questions come to mind:

- Can you include non-family members in the Trust so that they can legally fire a gun with your suppressor on it? As I understand it, it's illegal for a non-owner or Trust member to even fire one shot through one. Correct? If so, I'm thinking there's a number of names I'd want to add.

- Can you ever sell a suppressor once it's in the Trust and it's engraved? Such as what do you do if new technology comes out and you want to upgrade, etc?

Btw, I'm on my tablet right now and can't figure out how to link the site, but I just read an update that the 41P review is probably going to push back to January, 2016, and that all apps, etc, that have been received by the ATF as of whatever that date is will be grandfathered.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have several non family people on my trust. As for selling it and the engraving, i don't know.

You only have to engrave it if you build it. Like my SBR

It's addictive. Taking off from the children's book:

"If you build a SBR, you are gonna want a Saker 556K suppressor for it"

Is always something. I shouldn't have handled that 556K at PSA last week.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 12-23-2015 at 10:45 PM.