Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .270 Win

Default .270 Win

I've got a 270 savage axis I bought a couple years ago on clearance at Walmarts that I put in the safe and never shot. I just ordered another night vision scope that I'm gonna put on it and plan on using it as a dual purpose rifle for deer and coyotes. I've got a couple 270s but never hunted with them so I don't have a clue where to start on ammo. Got one buddy who swears by a 130 and another that swears by a 150 grain. I'd like to find something that Walmart or Academy carry that I can buy in bulk as long as the rifle shoots it ok. Something that's not gonna break the bank shooting coyotes with it but also works well on deer. I figure it'll get more use as a second rifle for when someone goes with me that doesn't have night vision or thermal of their own but I'd also like to shoot a deer with it.

I stopped by Walmart in Lake City tonight but they had zero boxes of 270. Thanks

Believe my brother uses 130g winchester silver tips and has for years. Very good results on deer. Cant remember having to track any, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For deer and coyote, either will be fine. Whatever I could find on the shelf.

I prefer 130 gr but yes either will kill deer and yotes

I've had the best luck with hornady sst out of mine. Before that though I used the old standard federal blue box from Walmart and they also did good
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Believe my brother uses 130g winchester silver tips and has for years. Very good results on deer. Cant remember having to track any, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is all I've shot since 1998.

I shoot 130 grain Accubonds from my .270s. Accurate and great terminal results.

My coyote guns are 22-250 and .223 respectively.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    This is all I've shot since 1998.
    Yep.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I shoot handloaded Barnes TSX in 140 grain. I think you can buy the TSX 130 grain off the shelf from Barnes (Vor-Tex) or Federal Premium but they are around $60 a box.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find something on the shelf somewhere.

Nitro, I run my thermal on a 223. Thought about putting the new scope on a 223 bolt gun I have but figured I’d try it on the 270 so I could maybe shoot a deer with it as well.

#1 Hornady American Whitetail with 130gr Interlock
    #2 Federal Fusion

Back in the day, I killed plenty of deer with the plain jane, Vanilla Ice Cream 150 grain round nose Corelokts. Not benchrest target ammo but plenty accurate enough to hunt with.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I got a Remington 700. The best bullets I ever shot was 140 grain boat tails. Can’t remember who made them, but they quit. Now I shoot winchester 130 grain silver ballistic tip. Whenever I shoot that, every deer has been DRT. I’m sure that’s more bullet then shooter.

Do you guys remember the old winchester black talons? Can't find them anymore I have still got a box and a half for my 30-06. Damn good bullets they're about the only ones id put above the winchester silver ballistic tips. Haven't really liked the Hornady SST superformance. Seems like i've had too many deer run off with them, though that could just be my shooting. I will say for the price the remington core lokts have always performed well for me in the 30-06 and I know my FIL swears by them in the .270 hope this helps!

130 gr Winchester Power Points
    or 130 gr Winchester Power Max
    Last edited by scduckcmdr; 10-25-2022 at 07:27 AM.

.270 is the only caliber i've ever shot a deer with. I've always used remington core lokt 150 grain. I think a box came with my gun and if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm not much of a long range guy but I killed one at about 200 yards that dropped where it stood a few years back

I've had great luck with the Nosler 130 grain ballistic tip. I used to buy the Federal brand before Nosler made their own.

I’ve used 150gr corelokts for 20 years out of a 700 and killed deer out to 350 yards. I’ve tried other ammo but never found anything it shoots better. Either will probably work fine so long as your rifle shoots it well.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I have shot the same Rem 700
    270 since I bought it in the late 90's. I have always shot 130gr bullets. I initially used Corlockts, nothing wrong with them. I moved to Silvertips which was my go to until they became almost impossible to get. A buddy loads Accubonds for me now and they fly almost Identical to the Silvertips. All of them will all kill deer dead with the correct shot placement

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    I got a Remington 700. The best bullets I ever shot was 140 grain boat tails. Can’t remember who made them, but they quit. Now I shoot winchester 130 grain silver ballistic tip. Whenever I shoot that, every deer has been DRT. I’m sure that’s more bullet then shooter.
    I don’t know if it was the same round or not, but I shot Winchester Silvertip Supreme 140gr BTSP for years until
    They quit making them. Loved those things and killed a mountain of deer with it.