Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a tackdriver 308

Default In the market for a tackdriver 308

What y’all got or recommend.

Off the shelf I’ve heard Bergara is hard to beat
    Last edited by baydog; 10-27-2022 at 08:24 PM.

First of all, way to stick with a tried and true .308 instead of some hipster round (I say that owning several "hipster" rounds).

1) Is this a range toy, walk and hunt gun, stand gun, or all of the above?
    Range toy- weight is your friend
    Hunting gun- weight isnt such a good thing

2) Is this a gun that YOU will shoot, or will a child/smaller human/ your wife be shooting it too? Regardless, the heavier gun will kick less and you will be more accurate, plus it won't scare the other people who may shoot it.

3) Does an internal box magazine vs detachable magazine matter to you?

Some would say that there is "no good mix of a range gun and hunting rifle", and I can certainly see their point- that is, a range gun has a heavy barrel with a long life. The heavy barrel wont heat up as fast and will remain accurate shooting all day, whereas a narrow contour barrel will heat up and your groups will spread/rise. However, I think that if you ARE looking for a combination of a range gun and hunting rifle, like baydog said above- it is hard to beat Bergara for the price. Great guns.

If you are looking for a lighter gun that is accurate and will be used mainly for hunting, I have heard great things about the Seekins Precision rifles- the Havak and Element. The Seekins Bravo gets rave reviews from the PRS people but will come in around 10# naked.

If budget comes in, it is also very hard to beat a savage hunting rifle for the money. Both the Bergara ("700 clones") and Savage lines have unlimited possible upgrades.

This is just my opinion, hope it helps! I am currently going through the same thing right now, trying to decide how I want to build out a remington 700 in .308 that my dad left me.

Let us know what you decide on, then please post pictures of tight groups +/- dead things
    Last edited by abarill; 10-27-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Sako or tikka, for off the shelf.

Tikka. I bought a 308 compact from a member here for my son a few years ago and I'm still impressed with the accuracy from an out of the box gun. The action is smooth and it shoots great. When I buy another gun for me it will most likely be a Tikka.

Whatever you get, definitely suppress it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Begara B14 Special Purpose Short Barral with Omega 300 Suppressor
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Tikka…. Close the thread.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Tikka…. Close the thread.
    Yep, if weight isn’t an issue go with the Tikka CTR. Those are tack drivers. Only thing I don’t like is the magazine on my CTR.

I have a tikka T3 308 blued I’d let go of

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Begara B14 Special Purpose Short Barral with Omega 300 Suppressor
    This.

Tikka if you want a detachable mag.
    700/ clone if you dont.
    The CTR is pretty much good to go out of the box. The stock sucks IMO, but thats an easy fix.

Damn all this talk of suppressed .308 has me itching to get one. Time to go down the rabbit hole of Bergara v. Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Damn all this talk of suppressed .308 has me itching to get one. Time to go down the rabbit hole of Bergara v. Tikka
    I got a tikka lite 300wm with a suppressor and it feels like im shooting a 7mm.08

I have an old LH700 VS .308 that is excellent. It has a 26" barrel and I have never felt that created an issue while hunting. They don't make them anymore. I'm left handed , so the choices for me are limited. When I bought my last rifle- which is for some specialized use, I settled on a Tikka CTR in .223.

Outstanding rifle for the money. I would buy another one in .308 if I needed to. The CTR is threaded for suppressor. Trigger on mine was 1 lb 12 oz from the box and can be adjusted with one screw. CTR also has an integral rail . Just get the rings you want and rock on. I agree with FLS that the CTR stock is clunky, but so far have not replaced mine - yet. I like the detachable 10 round mag on the CTR - except for the $99.00 retail for an extra. That is spendy.

Weight on a hunting rifle is not an issue to me. I have toted some heavy guns up and down mountains out West and never thought about it. If a guy can't tote 12 lbs a couple hundred yards to a box blind , it's gym time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Kimber Montana

I have a .308 Tikka TX3 in stainless, fluted barrel.

Love it so far. Burnt just 40 rounds of factory ammo in it, but it's a shooter.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I have a .308 Tikka TX3 in stainless, fluted barrel.

Love it so far. Burnt just 40 rounds of factory ammo in it, but it's a shooter.
    Probably loud too!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Probably loud too!
    Funny, I have the silencerco website up right now looking at the Hybrid 46 again.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Funny, I have the silencerco website up right now looking at the Hybrid 46 again.
    I just happen to have one in stock as well! You know I'm going to eventually get in your pocket right?