Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New land

Default New land

I recently landed access to a unique piece of seemingly virgin of old growth hardwoods tucked in the middle of Charlestons urban sprawl. I walked the property tonight and it appears to have the potential to be one hell of a honey hole. The property is close to 200acres, but a portion of it lies in the city limits of Charleston. Does this prevent me from using a rifle on the property? If I called the sheriffs office, could I gain special permission?

When hunting new ground that does not show evidence of ever been hunted before, would you hunt it any different? Corn vs no corn? I put out several cameras so I guess we will see
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Shhhhh

Take up bow hunting.

Default New land

Love bow hunting- I intend to do that... But I was just wondering about firing a .300 in City limits

Edit: The area of the property I would like to the rifle hunt is not technically considered in the city limits- I don't think. Just seems like a corner of the property is opposite where I intend to hunt.
    Last edited by The Conservative; 08-06-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Sec. 21-213. - Discharging firearms generally; exceptions.

No person, except in cases of urgent necessity or in the performance of a lawful duty, shall discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm in the city. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to apply to: (1)
    The hunting of game birds and game animals, as defined by S.C. Code, § 50-1-30(1) and (4), as amended, in accordance with law on lands within the city that are zoned to permit such use;
    (2)
    Marksmanship centers existing on the effective date of this ordinance that are used for practice and training by the South Carolina National Guard and other military organizations and military institutions;
    (3)
    Special events including annual turkey shoots that have received a special events permit issued by the special events committee of the city pursuant to section 2-189 of this Code and the written approval of the mayor or chief of police; and
    (4)
    Indoor shooting ranges that are operated in accordance with law on lands within the city that are zoned to permit such use.

(Code 1975, § 52-3; Ord. No. 1996-85, § 1, 4-23-96; Ord. No. 2012-32, § 1, 1-10-12)
    State Law reference— Discharging firearms near public building, S.C. Code 1976, § 16-23-420; discharging firearms at or into a dwelling, § 16-23-440; shooting on public highways, § 16-17-530(c).

Thanks-

I got cuffed and stuffed for discharging a firearm in city limits. But I never fired a shot. I was invited to someone's land on the outskirts of town, friend took me to deer stand and dropped me off. I heard a few shots in the distance but didn't think anything of it. Next thing I know, sheriffs deputies and DNR are walking through woods and order me down. Took all my shit, cuffed me, and I sat in a sheriffs car for over an hour. After DNR did their analysis on my rifle, they cut me loose. They were called out for gun shots, and I was the first person they walked up on. It was shitty. I had no clue where I was, as I was invited to hunt on their land.

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    Thanks-
    Welcome. Those are for the city of Charleston.

So it sounds like I'll be sticking to bow hunting

A lot of municipalities have ordinances against shooting bows as well. Likelihood of being caught is far less given the lack of noise but may want to check on that too.

Bow only...

Quote Originally Posted by man down View Post
    Bow only...

10/4

Where's this at?
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Where's this at?
    Can't blame you for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Can't blame you for trying.
    I'm not trying, I'm just making sure it's not close to some places I have permission to hunt.
    867-5309

I say hunt it!! kill a deer and post a picture... then eat some frog more and get drunk. Id get me a pop up camper or even better barrow one from some one.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Suppressor!!! And bet some one has hunted it within the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pccutter View Post
    bet some one has hunted it within the last year.
    And will be helping you hunt it this year too.

"No person, except in cases of urgent necessity or in the performance of a lawful duty, shall discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm in the city. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to apply to: (1)"

A 140 class buck at 100 yds would be pretty urgent.

Default New land

Proximity to particular federal property may be another reason not to shoot a rifle - but I don't know how comfortable I am shooting something big with my bow and having them run into the marsh
    Last edited by The Conservative; 08-07-2015 at 02:57 PM.