Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Cortana? You searching by voice or just typing?

Never heard of Cortana. The box in this pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna wait for now. One thing we have ran into is the new operating system may be pretty good but sometimes other programs won't run on them.

We was running canon imageware on our XP machines and when we upgraded to 7 canon would not run on it.

We had to built virtual XP machines on every users PC just to run that program.

That was a pain
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I'm gonna wait for now. One thing we have ran into is the new operating system may be pretty good but sometimes other programs won't run on them.

We was running canon imageware on our XP machines and when we upgraded to 7 canon would not run on it.

We had to built virtual XP machines on every users PC just to run that program.

That was a pain
    Sounds familiar. We had to send one of our Leica microscope cameras back to the distributor to have the firmware updated so that it would run on Windows 7.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Just bought a new laptop and am running windows per our network guys. Thats what they have had us stick with for several years vs upgrading to any of the newer versions.

Just bought a new laptop and am running windows per our network guys. Thats what they have had us stick with for several years vs upgrading to any of the newer versions.

Quote Originally Posted by straightline View Post
    Never heard of Cortana. The box in this pic.

"Cortana" is the "Siri" for Win 10. You can use voice commands for searches, etc. I haven't played with it yet.

I've done all current updates available for Win 10 so far. Avast Anti-Virus DOES work with it, supposedly.

I've noted two issues thus far...

One, I've had Windows Edge, the new browser, lock up on me two times when I've clicked on something in either an 'Edge' story highlight box, or on another Microsoft web page. That makes me wonder why they bothered releasing it if it locks up on it's own programs, not even my own mix. This is a fairly new laptop so I won't accept blame for the problem unless MS can prove it to be hardware related.

Two, and not altogether unexpected, my MS Outlook 2003 email program functions don't all work the way they did in Win 7 and Win 8.1. My right mouse button won't bring up the menu like it used to, and, yes, I've checked all the settings. I'll keep playing with it, but I'm not changing email programs for now just to be on Win 10. If I can't get used to the things that don't work I'll drop Win 10 since it really doesn't seem to provide that much more or better functionality. There's some cool features, but unless you're a 'feature techie', it doesn't really rattle my bones thus far.

Speak up if you're getting any pro or con experiences!

Oh, Swamp Rat... I haven't used my wife's laptop with 8.1 on it that much, but I suspect that if I was using 8.1 I'd probably go to Win 10 and just work to learn it. I've got her 8.1 set up with the 'Classic Shell' program so it's not such a hassle like it was originally, but...
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-07-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The Windows Explorer file hierarchy looks and acts like some foreigner who wanted to play a game on us designed it. The last folder hierarchy that was 'intuitive' and made sense was XP, but leave it to MS to fuck something up that worked.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'