Thread: Fly line

Default Fly line

I need new line and know nothing about the types. Is it all the same , from 40 to 80$ ? I use a 5wt rod. I assume floating. Brands to look at? Thanks in advance

What will you be using it for specifically? Bugs, flies, small lures?
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Larger stimulators/mayflies with a dropper. 20 foot creeks usually
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 07-25-2015 at 07:33 PM.

IMHO, if you're not making really long casts, would get a floating double taper. I normally use Rio but Cortland, Bps, and about any other line is fine. Are you fishing for trout or bream?
    Molon Labe

I'd definitely go with a floating double taper then.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    IMHO, if you're not making really long casts, would get a floating double taper. I normally use Rio but Cortland, Bps, and about any other line is fine. Are you fishing for trout or bream?
    Thanks Skimp Pretty sure I have WF line now. Mending is difficult but I am a beginner. Its usually trout and some tight water for brookies. A few trips for smallmouth using larger clousers. I may need to get an extra spool and line for that, a larger rod too.

I did some reading on the taper and sounds about right for what I need. I may try the Cabelas brand. I probably don't fish enough to warrant durable, more expensive stuff.

Double taper even for long casts, on trout. When the front taper wears out reverse the line. The last two I have purchased have been the Scientific Angler shark skin lines (think they call them shark wave now, $90 or so). Several manufacturers out there selling textured fly lines now. Increased surface area so it floats higher. Less contact with guides so it shoots like crazy. You can still catch plenty with Cortland 333 for about $30 though.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

For close range trout and panfish, the cheaper stuff will do just as well.
    Molon Labe

Also, if you fish ponds very much, its a good idea to wipe your line down good every so often. It gets pond scum on it.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Also, if you fish ponds very much, its a good idea to wipe your line down good every so often. It gets pond scum on it.
    That's the life of the line. I clean mine after every day of fishing, they will last longer and float/perform better. I also clean my rods as well. Wipe down with a paper towel and a little windex then follow with a paper towel and a bit of aerosol furniture polish. Line will shoot slick.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    That's the life of the line. I clean mine after every day of fishing, they will last longer and float/perform better. I also clean my rods as well. Wipe down with a paper towel and a little windex then follow with a paper towel and a bit of aerosol furniture polish. Line will shoot slick.
    Great advice!
    Molon Labe

Scientific angler... You get what you pay for in fly line for sure. Rio is also quality.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks guys. Just need a way to sneak off to the mountains and I will be set.

Forget the 5 wt to start with and get you a 6'.5" 2 or 3...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Forget the 5 wt to start with and get you a 6'.5" 2 or 3...
    I have an old 2wt eagle claw for when I'm feeling adventurous.

I got a Sage 0 weight for those. I'm fly rod poor, got a bakers dozen. Someone start a photo dump thread and I'll throw in.