Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost at sea

Wow what the hell were they thinking letting them go out alone.

Please. My buddies and I were going out of Murrells Inlet much younger than that in a lot smaller boats.

I grew up just a few miles from the inlet and when I was probably 14 or 15, my best buddy who still fishes with me and I had a 14ft POS bass boat with stick steering and a rusty wore out old antique Mercury and king fished out 10 or 12 miles and had a compass. We knew our course to run from the sea buoy and timed it with a watch. Then knew a heading back that would get us close enough to see the high rise condos eventually and from there we could figure the rest out. Thinking back now, it was f'd up. Our parents thought we were flounder fishing in the waterway

No VHF, never heard of a cell phone or GPS back then either.
    We caught some fish too
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-25-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Says their parents are certain the boys would not have gone that far off shore. That's the first mistake if I had a boy like me I would never be certain about what he was doing when it came fishing or hunting. I could say "I'm certain he didn't make honor role" or " I"m certain he did not eat the pickled pigs feet."

Hope they find them fast and that all is well.
    Last edited by santee11; 07-25-2015 at 08:51 PM.

There is nothing wrong with the families letting the boys go alone. Evidently they were all confident with it. It's sad they are missinģ. No telling what could/ can happen out there. Prays they are found and the family doesn't have to live with heartache!

I forwarded this to my brother since he lives in that area. Jupiter inlet is one of the worst on the East coast.
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 07-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

My fishing buddy, who is also a coast guard pilot down here, has been in the air all day looking. A mothers nightmare to say the least.
    Last edited by 803; 07-25-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Two drunk kids rolled into Bimini one afternoon in a 17' whaler with an empty half gallon of Bacardi and no loran. My buddy asked em how the fuck they found their way. They said "we followed the bat".
    Last edited by Fish; 07-25-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hold the parent shaming till later.

Guess no one ever did anything they were not supposed to growing up?

Prayers for the safe return of the boys!

I rode a daul-sport Yamaha 200 up to Monroe, NC one time when I was 14; no license, of course. I did it to meet up with a girl who I met at Hilton Head over the summer.

I made it, had a good time, and returned home without incident.

Point being -- kids make stupid decisions. Some work out; some don't. I hope these kids are found and learn from their mistakes. Godspeed, sailers!

https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast
    I don't have a good feeling about this, I pray they are found alive. Hopefully they only had motor issue and not enough anchor rope and will be found drifting up this way. I cant figure out why they haven't raised CG on the vhf unless they had motor problem and ran battery down trying to crank engine.....just speculating.

They are in Florida. The gulfstream is like 5 miles offshore. While probably a bad idea to let a 14 y/o kid run a boat out, my parents honestly wouldn't have batted an eye if they felt I had the experience to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Please. My buddies and I were going out of Murrells Inlet much younger than that in a lot smaller boats.
    This^^^^ I been to the 10-mile reef a many of time in my 14' jonboat by myself with nothing but a handheld compass. All be had back in the day.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    This^^^^ I been to the 10-mile reef a many of time in my 14' jonboat by myself with nothing but a handheld compass. All be had back in the day.
    Nothing to brag about. Possible and sensible often don't yin and yang. Let's hope they're found.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Again this. Hope there ok , if they are floating they will be found.. If sunk then its likely already over. Prayers to the families.

I have read most of the adrift sagas, Steven Callhan, Poon Lim, the Butlers, Louis and some other stories, aint nothing I ever want to have to live through.

I recomend reading Adrift for anyone interested. All about mind over matter and having a desalinator.
    Genesis 9;2

An overturned boat has been found near Jacksonville matching description . Coast guard has yet to confirm.

Hopefully not their boat, but tragic that it belongs to someone .
    Last edited by 803; 07-26-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    An overturned boat has been found near Jacksonville matching description . Coast guard has yet to confirm.

Hopefully not their boat, but tragic that it belongs to someone .
    Uh oh! Prayers going up.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

It was their boat. Joe Namath has offered $100,000 reward.

Those boys could be off our coast by now.
    Sad....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Damn it man
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.