Thread: deer blood on rifle

I got a good bit of deer blood on my rifle while taking pictures last night. I hoped that regular cleaning would take it off, but it didn't. I was going to use glass cleaner or 409 and then oil it very well. Is this bad for a blued rifle, and if so, what should I use?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Purple Stuff will disolve anything made from protoplasm. It will remove dried bugs from a vehicle better than anything that I have used. I would imagine that it will work on blood also. I assume that you put a good coat of oil on it soon after you got it on the gun. Blood will cause rust in short order. A good penetrant such as Kroil or WD-40 may take it off as well. When you are done, get all of the Purple Stuff off and oil it up well!
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

B, definitely get it off. Blood will cause terrible pitting. I think if you use a really good gun solvent and then oil it really well, you'll be OK. Now, get to the story of the hunt. Oh, share that damn horseshoe too!!!

Congrats, that was a great buck! Can't wait to see the mount.

Ted
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

I talked to my neigbor across the street who does his own gunsmithing (mainly on antiques). He said to use rubbing alcohol followed by a liberal oiling. It worked perfectly. After a few paper towels and a half dozen Q-tips it looks as good as new. I'll be glad to post a picture of the deer if I could remember how to do it. I haven't posted one in quite a while. Yeah Ted I need to switch cheeks every once in a while - that horseshoe is starting to hurt!
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I would just use a clean cloth damp with WARM water to remove the blood, then a thorough re-oiling.

Blood can remove bluing if not removed.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen