Thread: $25 state duck stamps

Default $25 state duck stamps

The sound of geese honking and flying overhead in a V, or of wood ducks whistling along a forest stream or mallards quacking on takeoff, those things speak of shotguns and dogs and, most of all, fall.

Which means, of course, that now — when the air's heavy with humidity, the rain's keeping the grass almost too soggy to cut and mosquitoes make any hike-in bass fishing trip in a backwater weedbed an adventure — it's time to think about waterfowling.

You don't think so?

The early resident Canada goose season will likely start Sept. 1, if history's any guide. That's only about six weeks away.

Even closer on the calendar is the annual public waterfowl briefing hosted by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. It's set for 1-5 p.m. Aug. 7 at the agency's northwest region office in Franklin. There, biologists will talk about duck and goose populations, proposed seasons and bag limits, all while taking comments from hunters.

And already, duck stamps are on sale.

There have been some changes from last year. The price of a stamp has gone up, for starters. Previously $15 — that had been the price for 24 years — they're now $25. There's also an agent fee attached to buying stamps online or at big box stores.

The higher price of stamps, at least, is not necessarily a bad thing. Ninety-eight percent of the revenue generated by stamp sales go to the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund, which is used to buy, lease or otherwise protect waterfowl habitat. Stamp sales have raised more than $800 million and protected more than six million acres over time.

That means hunters get their money back in the form of potential for more game.

And speaking of potential, this looks as if it's going to be a good year for waterfowl and waterfowl hunters.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently released the 2015 version of its “Trends in Duck Breeding Populations” report. It's an annual look at duck numbers across North America.

What it shows is there are plenty of birds out there.

Total populations were estimated at 49.5 million breeding ducks. That's 51 percent above the 1955-2014 long-term average and the highest count on record, surpassing last year's 49.2 million birds.

That may or may not translate into extra ducks here this fall.

Traditionally, the prairie pothole region of the Midwest sees the most fluctuation in duck numbers, based on how much rain the area gets in breeding season. Relative booms and busts are most attributable to what happens there. Things are usually more stable in the Northeast, biologists say.

But more waterfowl is always a good thing, and birds are doing well, especially when it comes to certain species. Take mallards. The duck most commonly harvested in Pennsylvania, they're thought to be at least as plentiful as last year, with populations cruising along at 51 percent above the long-term average.

So it soon will be time to practice calling, touch up the decoys and mend the decoy bag. Fall is coming.

Bob Frye is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at bfrye@tribweb.com or via Twitter @bobfryeoutdoors.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/...#ixzz3gLziWusf
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

...skipped right past $20. I don't trust that the shit eating Fed spends that money the way they claim too.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Post said $25 "State" stamps. Are sure that's not Federal? Haven't paid any attention to the State stamps 'cause I get mine free now.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Post said $25 "State" stamps. Are sure that's not Federal? Haven't paid any attention to the State stamps 'cause I get mine free now.
    Professor
    I'm sure that extra $10 will not go towards planting the SNWR.

Why does it cost me nearly $100 a yr just to legally hunt and fish in sc?

Good question
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Tax increase.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I just got my son's lifetime license last week before he turns 2. Mine is next. They ain't getting no cheaper. And I got a long time before I'm in that boat with Professor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    You should live in other states..
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If the money is appropriately spent then I don't care if it costs 500 bucks. I just have zero faith in our DNR to make that happen
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

This is for PA
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans