Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing Capacity

I speak from experience meaning I know what it's like towing 14000 pounds behind a Chevy 2500 gas. I did it for 12 years but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    does your truck have the "tow package" with upgraded brake disks, transmission cooler and tow/haul setting for transmission?

You will also need electric brake controller to tow a camper.
    Yes on the tow package, and yes I'm going to do the brake control.

You guys think I may be ok for a year or so with the current truck?

My biggest concern would be the age of the tow vehicle and whether it was well maintained especially fluid changes. If you've got 100k+ miles and have never changed the transmission fluid or it has old antifreeze or ran long between oil changes you might risk having serious engine problems.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

How many miles on your truck?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    How many miles on your truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    My biggest concern would be the age of the tow vehicle and whether it was well maintained especially fluid changes. If you've got 100k+ miles and have never changed the transmission fluid or it has old antifreeze or ran long between oil changes you might risk having serious engine problems.
    Wouldn't say I had it changed on time every time, but nothing serious. I always ask that they check fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    You guys think I may be ok for a year or so with the current truck?
    In all honesty, it sounds to me like you and your truck are in over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    In all honesty, it sounds to me like you and your truck are in over your head.
    Ok, well at what dry weight would I not be over my head?

5000 lbs wth good brakes.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I was looking at a 14 Tundra with all the bells and whistles a while back. When the salesman was throwing his pitch he said it was rated for 10,000lbs but was capable of more but they don't advertise it's real capacity because they don't want anyone maxing it out. Anyone ever heard this?
    Non Supporting Member

Got to agree with Steelin on this. With a standard F150, I would limit your camper to a 24/25 footer and around 5K max. Especially if you are going to be on the interstates and in any hills. Not sure if you are used to pulling trailers. If not, better get prepared for the big rigs passing you on the interstate and maneuvering in traffic . You will need some extendable wide out mirrors for you truck also.

I use a 2500 HD 6 liter gas to pull my 30 footer. The 2500 is a long bed, crew cab, with tow package. It's classified as a 1 ton truck. With 3 dirt bikes in the truck, family, and a loaded camper, I have been all up and down the east coast and out to the Mississippi river. Never had any problems in 12 years of traveling. If you plan to travel much, you will appriciate the bigger truck.
    E T

Thanks for the help.

Another option and one I considered is there are folks that own heavy duty tow rigs and they can tow your camper for you. Trust me, I know you can get someone to tow your camper a lot cheaper than you can buy a comparable tow vehicle. I'm pretty sure the going rate is $3.50 a loaded mile.

The problem is not pulling its stopping and if you plan on camping in the mountains you might be for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rodandgun83 View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread but I was looking at a 14 Tundra with all the bells and whistles a while back. When the salesman was throwing his pitch he said it was rated for 10,000lbs but was capable of more but they don't advertise it's real capacity because they don't want anyone maxing it out. Anyone ever heard this?

Not sure about the Tundra but the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost is tow rated at 12,200lbs. I was floored.

I was talking to a camper dealer in Charlotte about campers and he told me a story of a guy with one. He said the guy came in and wanted to buy a 10,000lb camper. The dealer refused to sell it to him. The guy showed him the tow rating in the specs. The dealer said he didnt care what the paper said, that truck couldnt pull it. The guy had to convince the dealer to hook it up and show him.

The dealer admitted that it made a believer out of him. He said it snatched that camper right up and pulled it like it wasnt even there.

We will see about it, my boss just ordered his King Ranch with the Ecoboost.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Not sure about the Tundra but the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost is tow rated at 12,200lbs. I was floored.

I was talking to a camper dealer in Charlotte about campers and he told me a story of a guy with one. He said the guy came in and wanted to buy a 10,000lb camper. The dealer refused to sell it to him. The guy showed him the tow rating in the specs. The dealer said he didnt care what the paper said, that truck couldnt pull it. The guy had to convince the dealer to hook it up and show him.

The dealer admitted that it made a believer out of him. He said it snatched that camper right up and pulled it like it wasnt even there.

We will see about it, my boss just ordered his King Ranch with the Ecoboost.
    The turbo really creates a flat torque curve ideal for towing. I question the suspension handling that kind of weight. The HP/torque numbers are spot on though and they didn't get a bail out!

No way in hell I'd tow a 10k trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. Suspension gets squirrelly, brakes get overheated and you're SOL if the trailer brakes fail or aren't dialed in right. You can pull a load with about anything but can you control and stop it.

Hell my truck's rated at 17,800 lbs but I'm not sure I'd want to put that much behind it, that's a helluva lot of weight pushing you when braking.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I hooked up to a mini-excavator on a heavy trailer a whiile back. I'm not sure of the weight, but it scared the shit out of me. I could pull it, but stopping distance was measured in football fields. '07 5.3 1500 Chevy with 80k miles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I towed about 7500lbs behind my 3.5ecoboost. As mentioned above, getting up and going wasn't the issue, it was stopping and the sound the engine made going up hills. The trailer only had surge brakes, so because of the light truck, it was rough everytime I hit the brakes. Avg. 8.5mpg on regular and 10mpg when running premium, both with ethanol

Lessons learned- too heavy for just surge brakes. My truck has towing package with trailer brake controls and I have never used them.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”