Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing Capacity

Default Towing Capacity

Figured this would be a good place for this.

How close do you guys get to max towing capacity when hauling your boats? Wife and I are looking at campers, and I'm trying to figure out what weight I'll be comfortable with. Drive a 05 z71 with the 3.73 rear axle ratio. Looks like a max tow capacity of 8700 lbs but not completely sure. Weight distribution hitch will be installed, but I'm just not sure how close to that number I should go and feel comfortable.

Engine size? 4 wheel disks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A good distribution hitch helps. I'd also opt for at least one sway bar. Trailer brakes are a must.

But with that said, I still wouldn't want to be right up next to the max. The other thing to remember when looking at those numbers is make sure you look at dry weight and gross. Gross is max weight with equipment and water. Dry weight is stock with nothing in it. But dealers will swap the two when it benefits them.

You need to read the fine print of what the advertised tow rating is vs true tow rating on your specific truck. A tow rating can vary from what's advertised based on a number of variables. A ford f250 crew cab 4x4 with 3.55 ratio will tow more than a f-250 single cab 2wd with a 3.25 ratio. But guess what number ford advertises? Neither....because there are other f250 models that can tow more than either of those same trucks. It's a marketing ploy. Some of the rv forums are good places to look for info also. It's full of retired guys with nothing better to do but research and report findings on GVWR, tow hitches, etc.

The other thing to take into consideration is MAX tow rating is just that! The MAX. Black and grey tanks, chairs, grills, generators, kitchen supplies, hunting shit, etc all add weight to a camper. And just because your truck is rated to tow it doesn't mean it's best to be towing that weight all the time. Towing right at the max tow rating will kill your brakes, tires, shocks, transmission, etc over time.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 07-14-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Figured this would be a good place for this.

How close do you guys get to max towing capacity when hauling your boats? Wife and I are looking at campers, and I'm trying to figure out what weight I'll be comfortable with. Drive a 05 z71 with the 3.73 rear axle ratio. Looks like a max tow capacity of 8700 lbs but not completely sure. Weight distribution hitch will be installed, but I'm just not sure how close to that number I should go and feel comfortable.

I just bought a camper at 6800lbs. I pull it with 2015 F150 with tow capacity of 8500.

I would not tow it full of water, and loaded down etc.

You also have to factor in the weight of the people and gear in the vehicle too.
    2 adults at 350
    2 kids at 150
    gear for each 4 x 100

That may be a bit coservative on the gear, but that puts us at 7400lbs loaded.

Rule of thumb is 15% below max. That would be 1275lbs for us. I am a little over that and havent had any issues.

As stated above, weight distribution hitch is a MUST and sway bar.

What size camper are you looking at?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

theres a fine camper in the trading post that would be easily pulled with the standard z71! haha

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Engine size? 4 wheel disks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    5.3 v8, not sure about disks. I'm not mechanically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    I just bought a camper at 6800lbs. I pull it with 2015 F150 with tow capacity of 8500.

I would not tow it full of water, and loaded down etc.

You also have to factor in the weight of the people and gear in the vehicle too.
    2 adults at 350
    2 kids at 150
    gear for each 4 x 100

That may be a bit coservative on the gear, but that puts us at 7400lbs loaded.

Rule of thumb is 15% below max. That would be 1275lbs for us. I am a little over that and havent had any issues.

As stated above, weight distribution hitch is a MUST and sway bar.

What size camper are you looking at?
    Thanks for the feedback.

2 models my wife likes are the z-1 zt302in, 6244 dry weight, and the starcraft ar-one 30bhu with a dry weight of 7170.

I like the z1 a bit better simply because it's lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    theres a fine camper in the trading post that would be easily pulled with the standard z71! haha
    Saw that, but wife wants a new one. Nice camper though.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    You need to read the fine print of what the advertised tow rating is vs true tow rating on your specific truck. A tow rating can vary from what's advertised based on a number of variables. A ford f250 crew cab 4x4 with 3.55 ratio will tow more than a f-250 single cab 2wd with a 3.25 ratio. But guess what number ford advertises? Neither....because there are other f250 models that can tow more than either of those same trucks. It's a marketing ploy. Some of the rv forums are good places to look for info also. It's full of retired guys with nothing better to do but research and report findings on GVWR, tow hitches, etc.

The other thing to take into consideration is MAX tow rating is just that! The MAX. Black and grey tanks, chairs, grills, generators, kitchen supplies, hunting shit, etc all add weight to a camper. And just because your truck is rated to tow it doesn't mean it's best to be towing that weight all the time. Towing right at the max tow rating will kill your brakes, tires, shocks, transmission, etc over time.
    That's what I know so I figured I'd let you guys help me out.

That Z1 is about the same dry weight as my in-laws camper. He pulls it with a Dodge 1500 and catches hell everywhere he goes. Weight dist. hitch, brakes, the whole 9 yards and it's still terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

That 2006 F150 I had got about 6mpg downhill in a tailwind towing my boat. I knew the boat was back there too, I think my boat weighs about 6500lbs loaded out. I got rid of it and bought the Cummins, now I don't really care what I hook up to.

Max tow ratings and towing above 75% on the rating all the time will tear your truck up, especially the brakes. And it's not about pulling the load, you can pull the load with a properly equipped Prius, it's about stopping it, much more of a feat with the idiots driving around these days.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    That Z1 is about the same dry weight as my in-laws camper. He pulls it with a Dodge 1500 and catches hell everywhere he goes. Weight dist. hitch, brakes, the whole 9 yards and it's still terrible.
    What's the tow capacity if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That 2006 F150 I had got about 6mpg downhill in a tailwind towing my boat. I knew the boat was back there too, I think my boat weighs about 6500lbs loaded out. I got rid of it and bought the Cummins, now I don't really care what I hook up to.

Max tow ratings and towing above 75% on the rating all the time will tear your truck up, especially the brakes. And it's not about pulling the load, you can pull the load with a properly equipped Prius, it's about stopping it, much more of a feat with the idiots driving around these days.
    So sounds like of wife gets new camper I need new truck?

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Got to factor in the wind resistance as well as crosswinds towing a big ass brick like that too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have no idea, other than it's a Dodge 1500 4WD with a Hemi

EDIT: And yes, if you're looking at a camper that size, you need to go ahead and be looking at 3/4 ton diesels.......
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 07-14-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

That 3.73/ gear should help it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

does your truck have the "tow package" with upgraded brake disks, transmission cooler and tow/haul setting for transmission?

You will also need electric brake controller to tow a camper.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Just sell the truck and buy a motor home
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Honestly most 1/2 ton trucks can haul/tow 5000 pounds with little to no issues. Trailer weights above that create additional burden on the drivetrain. If you plan on only towing once in a while and only on flat ground and your truck is properly equipped, you can tow 8000 pounds. Hopefully you still have the stock diameter tires. A brake controller, overload springs, and a large transmission cooler will be a wise investment.