Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Flag"

To Glenn's point, let your ballot be your voice. Which apparently is a voice DT doesn't want to listen to. This is what happens after someone has been re-elected a time or two. The "I know what is better for them more than they do" complex
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-24-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Serious question. What do you think about a "representative" that says, "i know my voters won't be happy with the way I am going to vote on this?"
    Doesn't that sum it all up? I went back and deleted my attacks on ole DT, because i know he is a good person but represent and not dictate. Just my opinion. It comes down to "nuttin up"
    Sounds like my rep. He even said as much on the news, that he and two more, who were on a committee, knew more about what was right for us and that the majority was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Serious question. What do you think about a "representative" that says, "i know my voters won't be happy with the way I am going to vote on this?"
    Doesn't that sum it all up? I went back and deleted my attacks on ole DT, because i know he is a good person but represent and not dictate. Just my opinion. It comes down to "nuttin up"
    Where would we be if previous politicians, on any level, had listened to their constituents regarding civil rights? That was leadership that helped our country make necessary progress.
    Last edited by CUAngler; 06-24-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Page 28. Tenth post. But you know the budget passed don't you Turdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The compromise by the conference committee passed the house and senate.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Edit: I would also like the record to reflect that he still hasn't answered by questions about discussing the budget.
    This man is tryna tell y'all something. Listen up.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Page 28. Tenth post. But you know the budget passed don't you Turdo.
    Missed it.

My bad.

You're still a dick.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CUAngler View Post
    Help me understand this. Why would politicians go against what the people want, as you claim, to get re-elected? If politicians are out to get re-elected, wouldn't they do what the people want?
    Why do you think Haley made the move to get rid of the flag? Her term is up here in SC. She wants to make a statement to the rest of the U.S. so when her time comes to get into national politics, she'll have that to fall back on.

I am elected to use my best judgement. I do not poll my district. They can remove me every two years. Threats of removal and opponents are a part of the process. Unfortunately you may end up with a representative who does what it takes to be re-elected.

I have 37,000 in my district. 34% of my voters are black. That is the highest % of any republican in the house. I represent all. I have no doubt that if I polled my district they would vote to remove the flag.

If I only polled white people in my district I think they would say leave it up. I would say I have put my political "career" in jeopardy by my vote. However, 103 of my colleagues also voted to discuss the flag.

Life will go on if I lose. The state will continue. I will hunt and fish more and spend more time with my family and businesses. Most of all, my Lord will know where I stood.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoody View Post
    Glenn I agree but he needs to be voting the way his constituents elected him to. If he doesn't then who is he representing?
    That's for him to decide. And if they don't like it then they know how to handle it next election.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i dont understand. White guilt? I dont feel that at all and I'm pretty sure my granddad had no idea that term.

I AM emotionally mature enough to realize the time that I live in. I am not justifying anything.

Or am I reading this wrong?
    You'd feel guilty calling out Grandpa. Can't just leave it he used the N word regularly. Had to throw in the "HE WAS NOT A RACIST".

Sounds like all the defending of our ancestors and the Civil War not being about slavery and the flag on Statehouse grounds having nothing to do with race.

I'd imagine it all comes across as being very aloof and maybe even arrogant to black citizens in the South. I'd imagine my neighbor thought this about me.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Why do you think Haley made the move to get rid of the flag? Her term is up here in SC. She wants to make a statement to the rest of the U.S. so when her time comes to get into national politics, she'll have that to fall back on.
    So you are saying that the national perception of the flag is negative and Haleys decision to take it down is purely political posturing? Is that correct?

What is her statement to the rest of the country? What exactly is she going to 'fall back on'?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you all truly wanted a mob rule society then why have a republic and representatives at all? Everything would go to a popular vote. You vote on and send representatives to make the best decision possible with the information they have. So unless you want to spend every waking hour wading through bills trying to interpret all the legal jargon I'd suggest you trust them and let that be that. If it doesn't work out the way you want then mash a different button come election time.

Agree or disagree, he's doing the job for which he was elected.
    Boom

BINGO - she wasn't calling for it to come down during the last election was she or Dt for that matter, hell he supported the flag before he sold out. The flag has absolutely nothing to do with the shooting and they know it. The flag was moved once and is on a "Memorial".
    The moving of it again is caving to bullying and will not change a single thing wrong in this country or state. We now can see who is just another nameless politician caught up in the system and who is truly courageous enough to stand tall and say this has already been beat to death and a compromise was made.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-24-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CUAngler View Post
    So you are saying that the national perception of the flag is negative and Haleys decision to take it down is purely political posturing? Is that correct?

What is her statement to the rest of the country? What exactly is she going to 'fall back on'?
    If she was truly worried about what the MAJORITY of the state thought (had her term not been up and she planned on getting re-elected) she wouldn't have requested that the flag come down. The rest of the US doesn't feel the same way about the flag as the majority of SC does. End result, she takes down the flag, pisses off 3/4's of SC but is loved by the rest of the nation.
    Last edited by Drakey; 06-24-2015 at 11:21 AM.

This poor ol flag has been beat to death about like this thread has. I thought when it was taken down from atop the Capitol and moved to a war memorial, it had found its "resting place". I personally won't loose any sleep over it, I do think it has been bastardized by socially negative groups, just to clarify....my anger comes from the "how, when and why" that is just happening now and being demanded by outside interests.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-24-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    You'd feel guilty calling out Grandpa. Can't just leave it he used the N word regularly. Had to throw in the "HE WAS NOT A RACIST".

Sounds like all the defending of our ancestors and the Civil War not being about slavery and the flag on Statehouse grounds having nothing to do with race.

I'd imagine it all comes across as being very aloof and maybe even arrogant to black citizens in the South. I'd imagine my neighbor thought this about me.
    I never heard my grandfather speak ill about someone based on the color of his skin. Isnt that what racism is?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and the civil war wasnt about slavery.

If she was truly worried about what the MAJORITY of the state thought (had her term not been up and she planned on getting re-elected) she wouldn't have requested that the flag come down. The rest of the US doesn't feel the same way about the flag as the majority of SC does. End result, she takes down the flag, pisses off 3/4's of SC but is loved by the rest of the nation.
    If the rest of the country wants it down, maybe South Carolina is behind the times?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I never heard my grandfather speak ill about someone based on the color of his skin. Isnt that what racism is?
    Your grandfather knew damn well that word was offensive to entire race. Just like my grandfather, he probably didn't give a damn who he offended.

no, I dont think so...but I'm afraid stripa will call me out for protecting his name if I push it. Yall fail to realize that one black man, in particular, was one of my granddads favorite fishing partners.

Times change. Again, I dont have to apologize for anyone but myself.