Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Flag"

Remove all the slave owners from the currency, too. All this crap is about people looking for a reason to feel disrespected. It's the same mindset for rioting when a white man kills a black person while ignoring the black-on-black statistics.

Here's my take. The black race has fought to be considered equal. I have no problem with that. They have that right. What I don't agree with is wanting to be equal but special at the same time. If an organization doesn't allow black members, they are racist. Yet there is a Miss Black America Pagent. A Black Bassmasters. The Black Entertainment Channel and so on. How much more racist can one be? Until those barriers are dropped things will continue. A lot of things have changed since the 1950s and the opportunities are there for those who choose to take advantage. Believe it or not, there is less racism in the low country, where slavery prevailed, than any other part of the state. Makes you wonder why Roof targeted a church in Charleston and not Columbia. Either way, it has nothing to do with the flag. I bet most even forgot about it until some pot stirring glory grabber brought it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

My opinion: take it down. It serves no purpose and offends many. We can still hold on to our sense of state identity without flying a flag of a country that doesn't exist any longer . If you need to blame anyone for mistaking meaning of the flag, don't blame those offended instead blame those who spread hate with it in tow. I hate the political correctness movement, but I too would be offended if my state flew a flag that represented a nation who wanted to keep me enslaved. Yes, the civil war was about slavery; states right to choose [slavery].
    Last edited by 803; 06-19-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    Yes, the civil war was about slavery.
    Somebody's been brainwashed. Prayers sent your way.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My opinion: take it down. It serves no purpose and offends many. We can still hold on to our sense of state identity without flying a flag of a country that doesn't exist any longer . If you need to blame anyone for mistaking meaning of the flag, don't blame those offended instead blame those who spread hate with it in tow. I hate the political correctness movement, but I too would be offended if my state flew a flag that represented a nation who wanted to keep me enslaved. Yes, the civil war was about slavery; states right to choose [slavery].
    You really don't have a clue.

The Civil War was not about slavery. It was about imposing tariffs placed on goods grown in the South. Not defending slavery but people are grossly mislead when it comes to what the South was trying to secede from the Union for. Slavery was a biproduct but not the reason.
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Do you think the Gadsden flag (Don't Tread on Me) offends the British folks here? The symbolism is very similar.

You're either a yankee or a foreigner. By your logic we'd be flying the british flag and sippig hot tea while wearing wigs.

What if it offends me and many others to remove it, now who is correct? I respectfully disagree with your opinion, I am 63 years old and remember when we observed Confederate Memorial Day in school and walked to the Confederate Monument in the small in the small town of Cheraw on a day of respect. I have many ancestors both slave and non slave owners who fought in the war, it was about states rights, just as most here oppose the Government interjecting into your everyday activities, so did the South , especially the great state of South Carolina.
    You have your opinion and I have mine, and I will say it before you do, opinions are like assholes we all have one.
    How many blacks fought with the CSA , more than you think.

The cause of the Civil War has been debated and will remain polarizing as long as the South lives on, but that still doesn't change the fact that a large group of out states population feels offended by a state supported "icon" of racism. Perception is reality , it is irrelevant that the vast majority of us believe the flag simply represents the culture we are proud of when parts of out population continue to use it as a symbol for hatred. Call me brainwashed or a traitor , I don't give a shit.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

it is irrelevant that the vast majority of us believe the flag simply represents the culture we are proud of when parts of out population continue to use it as a symbol for hatred
    its just as easy to say it is irrelevant that they see it as hatred, when I see it as part of my heritage and culture
    that argument is pointless

They use the flag as leverage. Take it away, and they won't have anything to make an excuse with.

I rather see the flag my family fought and died for taken down than drug through the mud.

Another thing, what not replace it with the real "stars and bars"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

As a black man born and raised in the south I have no problem with the flag flying. I understand it's heritage and not hate and I cannot hold it against a person if certain groups use a symbol of heritage for a particular reason other than heritage

I would like to keep it up because that was the compromise that was made. It sucks that that compromise wasn't enough for some but I'm torn when I look around and see the wrong people using it to send the wrong message. A lot of them I don't want to associate with. A lot of trash fly the flag now and have distorted its meaning so that now it's a passive aggressive display of racism, whether some want to admit it or not. It sucks but it's the way it is. How many of you would fly the flag in front of your business? I can't say that I would.
    Last edited by CUAngler; 06-19-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCountyMudMarshall View Post
    As a black man born and raised in the south I have no problem with the flag flying. I understand it's heritage and not hate and I cannot hold it against a person if certain groups use a symbol of heritage for a particular reason other than heritage
    I wish all had your point of view, but they don't hence why I don't support the architectural symbol of our state endorsing it.
    Last edited by 803; 06-19-2015 at 08:49 PM.

No slave was ever brought into this country under a Confederate flag, but tens of thousands were brought over on ships flying the US flag.

The Klan requires that all meetings must include an American flag, not a Confederate flag, so I guess it's a symbol of hate too.

Make no mistake, the race baiters will go after it next. Gotta keep up the mantle of victimhood!

The Palmetto State flag is a Confederate flag also, so I guess we better get that damn indigo flag off the dome. And get it off your hats, shirts, Yetis, etc., you bunch of damn racists!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    That's the biggest crock of shit I've heard of. The flag was on a license plate of a racist nut job that killed people. If that means the flag stands for racism.... Oh this shit makes my blood boil. With all the media attention on this subject, I'm sure they will be catered to!
    No, the battle flag was not on that license plate!
    I think the Stars and Bars was but not the battle flag....BS!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

The Klan requires that all meetings must include an American flag,
    and you know this how??

Just for arguments sake, what it the Klan and skin heads chose to use the Stop sign as their symbol? Or the #, then all you folks on twitter would be racist.