Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Flag"

Default The "Flag"

Been all over the news and social media today...re-opening negotiations about the placement of the flag at the state house. Any opinions on that? Or are we not talking about it here? Apologize in advance if I just missed the thread.

That flag had nothing to do with the shooting.

That's the biggest crock of shit I've heard of. The flag was on a license plate of a racist nut job that killed people. If that means the flag stands for racism.... Oh this shit makes my blood boil. With all the media attention on this subject, I'm sure they will be catered to!
    Last edited by Whitetail Widowmaker; 06-19-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

I concur that the flag flying at the confederate memorial at the state house probably had nothing to do with the shooting. However, that crazy little bastard had the confederate battle flag on the front of his car, so now the flag and our state are in the national spotlight again.

As part of the deal to take it out of chambers and off the dome, the flag is part of the monument and cannot be removed. People can discuss this all they want....there are laws that protect monuments so the flag is there to stay in its state of reverence.
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 06-19-2015 at 06:07 PM.

There is a negative connotation that has been steadily growing with the flag of late. Probably getting time to readdress the issue.

2/3 majority to remove it, correct?

I hope it keeps flying.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by southerngent View Post
    2/3 majority to remove it, correct?
    Nope. It's protected.

Heritage, not hate.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    Nope. It's protected.
    I thought it was 2/3 in the house, 2/3 in the senate, and 2/3 vote in a joint assembly?
    Last edited by wooddrow; 06-19-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Because

Quote Originally Posted by wooddrow View Post
    Pretty sure it's 2/3 in the house, 2/3 in the senate, and 2/3 vote in a joint assembly. But I may be wrong.
    This is what the news stated before I left the house for work, or something very similar to that
    Last edited by rocketman; 06-19-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    rip Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Heritage, not hate.
    nailed it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It cannot be addressed until Jan 2016 but expect all presidential candidates to be expected to weigh in.

It would be hard for a republican presidential candidate to win SC if the say it should be removed and difficult to win in a general election if they say it should stay.

It is the proverbial box. You lose either way.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

DT...I thought historical landmarks and monuments were protected forever once they are declared?

Heritage- not Hate, my flag is on my truck and on my body, and my black friends understand.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Heritage, not hate.
    As a native South Carolinian who has ancestors that came to SC from England via Barbados and has several other not quite as distant ancestors who fought in the war of northern agression, I agree with you. However, to a segment of the population the flag represents bigotry/slavery/racism.

Honor and respect my heritage and I will honor and respect yours.
    It's a losing battle, too many hate groups have dishonored the "Stars and Bars". Folks today really don't understand, I mean how many people alive today can say they even knew a Confederate Veteran. How many folks really know why young men died in battle defending that flag? There is so much disrespect out there that most folks don't give a shit what happened in 1863. The only true hatred I grew up with was the hatred of a Yankee. I grew up around Black folks, ate supper with them, went swimming and hunted with them. Snuck cigarettes and beer from our folks together. There was no hatred whatsoever in out hearts for one another. Things have changed drastically since then.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngent View Post
    However, to a segment of the population the flag represents bigotry/slavery/racism.
    If it wasn't the flag it would be something else. Most people that cry racism are just looking for a reason to cry and whine about something. That is how Al and Jesse stay in the public eye.

Slavery ended in 1865 and I can guarantee you that most can't even tell you what amendment to the Constitution ratified it.

There will always be bigots no certain race has got a corner on em'.

Slavery ended in 1863. It was ended to weaken the south. 90% of confederate soldiers didn't own a slave. I doubt 9 guys were fighting so the one rich guy could keep his slaves. Our state did not secede because "we wanted to keep our slaves". The north invaded. For money. And jealousy. Hate groups also use the cross. I hate seeing the southern flag bastardized by skinheads and other white trash. The brave men that fought for independence were no different from those fighting the British. Heroes. Heroes that are rolling over in their graves every time they're compared to nazis etc. it's all disgusting.

And slavery was on its way out with or without a northern invasion.