Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running/Walking: Target Heart Rate

Default Running/Walking: Target Heart Rate

So these past few months I have started getting back into the active lifestyle. Currently up to walking 4 miles a day and burn approx 480 cals. The other day I didn't have an hour to devote to walking, so decided to do a quick 1 mile jog around the neighborhood. This peaked my interest as in just one mile jogging, I burned 309 cals.

So here's my question. My #1 goal from all of this is to be healthier. If I lose some weight in the process (down 25lbs), then awesome. From a health standpoint, is it better for my body to keep my heart rate higher (jogging) for a shorter period of time, or sustained for a longer period of time by walking? Obviously walking is easier on my joints, but no pain no gain right? Everyone I know that runs can't really give me a defenitive answer, so figured I'd turn to SCD.

Thanks in advance fellas.
    Last edited by B.Miller; 05-19-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

You want to keep your heart rate up if possible, you burn more cals this way. The best thing to do is intervals which burns the most calories and is good for your heart. Ex: Run wide open for 45 seconds, walk for 90 and do this for a certain amount of time continuously.
    "I'm the type of person that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, Aww shit....he's up"

HRCH Shakin' The Southland Shelby MH

From a health standpoint: I would say the man who can run a mile is more proficient than the one who can walk 4 miles. Get your heart rate up. I like the HIIT training wacknstack is talking about.

My personal opinion, run. Sprint some, Long slow distance (jog) some, then start lifting heavy weights. And I don't mean become a powerlifter or body builder. Just lift some weights, squats specifically.

Wish Glennda was here to help.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I am no expert and certainly an exercise novice - but I prefer to run at about 6-6.5 mph for 3 1/2 - 4 miles about 3-4 times a week. My heart rate gets up and stays up. I sweat a bunch and I am of the opinion that the "afterburn" of that more intense exercise allows me to continue to burn calories and increases my metabolism. Additionally, my resting heart rate stays at about 52 beats per minute-- all benefits of running.

Not counting the afterburn effect- you burn the same calories running a mile as you do walking a mile-- You just burn calories faster running and the level of exercise is more intense. I went to a golf tournament last week and walked six miles (per my iphone)- however- I didnt even break a sweet. Walking is better than lying on a couch- but it is not very intense exercise.

I would try to start running/jogging for parts of your walk until you get to a point where you run the entire time. You will have to slowly work up from 4mph-5mph-5.5 mph- 6mph etc.

As discussed above- circuit workout are very good- but I like to keep stuff simple.
    Good luck.

What is your goal? Lose fat/improve body composition or improve strength/endurance?

Generally speaking, longer duration exercise at lower intensity is fat burning pace. It takes the body a while to need to access the fat reserves and convert fat to fuel. You can walk and get as much cardio as running (you'll look strange to most people). Google speed walking/walking fitness and you'll see what I mean.

Interval training is good for endurance and strength. Your recovery period will shorten and you will be able to exercise at higher intensity for longer periods.

Both types of exercise are important. It is not a one size fits all situation.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Intervals, intervals, intervals.... best way to get your HR up and fastest way to burn fat. Jogging would take high mileage to get anywhere close to similar results.

At first you can even make your slow periods a walk then try to hold your run for 30seconds to a minute. A
    Last edited by 803; 05-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    What is your goal? Lose fat/improve body composition or improve strength/endurance?

Generally speaking, longer duration exercise at lower intensity is fat burning pace. It takes the body a while to need to access the fat reserves and convert fat to fuel. You can walk and get as much cardio as running (you'll look strange to most people). Google speed walking/walking fitness and you'll see what I mean.

Interval training is good for endurance and strength. Your recovery period will shorten and you will be able to exercise at higher intensity for longer periods.

Both types of exercise are important. It is not a one size fits all situation.
    I'm looking to lose fat/improve body comp. Back at my lightest I was 250 and miss that. Currently @ 330lb and doing my best to get there again.

Seems like general consensus is that jogging is better than brisk walking, so that's what I'll focus on. Honestly enjoy jogging more than I do walking, I feel better afterwards, more accomplished. Just can't go for the same distances.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Routine is the enemy. Confuse your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Routine is the enemy. Confuse your body.
    I was talking with my dad this past weekend about it and those were his exact words. Said to run one week, walk one week, always changing it up.

Just wasn't sure if one was truly better than the other.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

I would seek the advice of an expert on this and not the opinions of a bunch of rednecks....

Good luck, B! I took a break for a month and trying to get back into the swing of things. Glenn or Tater(RIP) posted a link to an article comparing a marathon runner to an olympic sprinter. Look at the difference in their body compositions. Marathon runner=slim/no muscle. Sprinter=muscular, but still in very good shape. Do a search on it. Disclaimer--I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I would seek the advice of an expert on this and not the opinions of a bunch of rednecks....
    This.

You want to find out what your anaerobic threshold is and learn to stay just below it. This is how you burn calories most efficiently.

Man at your size Id probably just lift and diet, at least for awhile.
    You may pound your knees to death running at 330lb.

Don't forget swimming. Low impact on the joints. High cardio workout that builds endurance -fast.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

If you weight 330 lbs then running is going to pound on you.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    While there are those around these parts, there is also some really sound advice in here.

HIIT works. Period. Dot.

There are a lot of different versions of High Intensity Interval Training, but we often do a Tabata workout that gets it done in short order. 20sec on (as close to 100% as you can maintain) and 10sec off - rotating that order for 4 minutes. We'll often cycle through 5 different exercises for 4min each and it's a hell of a 20min (about 25, actually, with breaks in between exercises) workout.

http://www.active.com/fitness/articl...abata-training
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Tabata is an ass kicker.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Man at your size Id probably just lift and diet, at least for awhile.
    You may pound your knees to death running at 330lb.

Which is why I had been focused more on quick walking than jogging. I don't want to kill my body in the persuit of being healthier/in shape.
    Last edited by B.Miller; 05-20-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

interval training is the best for losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Which is why I had been focused more on quick walking than jogging. I don't want to kill my body in the persuit of being healthier/in shape.
    Pose running... Look it up. It will save your joints. Imagine how you would run in sand, weight forward, impact to ground on the front of your foot, not heel striking, which is very common for runners.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14