Thread: light transmission 30mm vs 1 inch

DuCabin is offline The KING of no original thoughts!

Got this from Cabela's Web site.... is the case or not??? I know this discusssion on 1 inch vs 30 mm has been talked about before...

Tube Diameter: The majority of the scopes on the market come with the main tube having a one-inch diameter. Several European models and now a few others also come with a 30mm tube diameter. Contrary to popular belief, the larger tube does not allow more light to reach your eye. The exit pupil mentioned above controls this. However, a larger tube diameter does give added strength and rigidity due to the greater cross sectional area and larger rings and mounts. A larger tube diameter also allows for an increased range of adjustment for windage and elevation.

Objective: The second number in a scope, such as the 50 in a 3.5-10x50, is the diameter of the objective lens in millimeters. A 50 designation means that the outer lens is 50 mm in diameter. A larger number indicates a larger lens. Large lenses are more bulky, but they also offer a bit larger field of view and let in more light, which makes your image clearer - especially in low light conditions.

The low light performance is due to the maximum exit pupil offered by a larger objective. Exit pupil is the size of the beam of light that leaves the scope. The exit pupil can easily be calculated (in mm) by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the power. Therefore, a 4x32 scope has an exit pupil of 8mm. On a bright day, the human pupil will vary from 2mm at noon to 4mm later in the day. When your eyes become adapted to dark conditions, such as pre-dawn and after sunset, when big game are moving, the pupil will vary from 5mm to a maximum of 9mm.
    \"If you\'re not living life to the fullest just go ahead and die or get with living it to the fullest, now!!!!!\" <br />\"The only thing necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do NOTHING.\" Edmund Burke

DuCabin is offline The KING of no original thoughts!

Anybody got any comments or thoughts on this?
    \"If you\'re not living life to the fullest just go ahead and die or get with living it to the fullest, now!!!!!\" <br />\"The only thing necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do NOTHING.\" Edmund Burke

Why didn't I pay more attention in physics class?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...