Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Tiller Handle Upgrade

Default Yamaha Tiller Handle Upgrade

I just recently purchased a 1542 Duracraft with a Yamaha 50 Pro thats tiller operated. I wanted to upgrade the tiller so I started doing alot of research and looking online for a reasonable price on one. I saw a post on here that had a contact number for a guy in Florida but found out when I called he no longer does that anymore however, he gave me a contact name and number to another guy that did. I called and was able to get a pretty decent deal on the new style tiller handle and Fitting kit. I purchased the Tiller handle for $389, Fitting kit (Cables) for $130 and $15 to ship..= $534

I wanted to pass his info along for those of you who may be wanting to do the same upgrade.

I plan on painting my motor and then installing this. Anyone who has already done this and dont mind giving me some details/advice on how to do the gear flip or whatever it is for the correct push/pull on the cables that is required would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A 50 on a 1542? Damn that thing must fly

What year is the motor?
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

The motor is a 89. I haven't got a chance to really run it yet. The day I bought it I test drove it on the Savannah river and it was raining pretty good so I didn't go real fast. It was still fast enough for the rain to feel like it was needles poking me in the face!

Hit up Turbo, he's done it before.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

I have a 75 at Coastal Marine being fitted with one now. They quoted me the same price.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Whats the deal with the pro 50s? Ive seen a couple for sale over the years but don't know what sets them apart from a regular 50.

The only thing about em that I've noticed is that some of them were made in a short shaft model. Most modern Yamahas that I've seen in 50hp were all long shaft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'm not sure myself but I was told the 50 pro had tilt n trim and the standard 50 didn't but I don't think that's true.

Post pics of the rig
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

It still has the GA registration numbers on it from the previous owner. I plan on getting stumpknocker to paint it for me before I put my numbers on it. I haven't decided on the camo pattern I want to go with yet but I think I'm going to get stumpknocker to paint the boat and the engine cowl and I'm going to paint the rest of the motor back yamaha blue / silver. I think I'm also going to get a kick up plate to put on it and mount the jackplate to it.

93 DuraCraft 1542 w/Yamah 50 Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tiller swap is easy...I've done 2 in the last few months. Takes about an hour. Just follow the instructions that came with the tiller .
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Does anyone have more info on fixing these handles for older motors with push throttles?

Take shit apart and flip the gear over

That's what I read. I've got one on the way and haven't got to look at one up close yet. A guy on another forum posted these pictures, and I'm having trouble seeing how it's done.

Last edited by abwehrly42; 05-24-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Gear on the left goes on the right

Good lord I bet that thing will fly. I've got the same boat with a 25hp yamaha and it runs pretty good for what it is.

Thanks Santee. Are you positive that can be done on the newest tiller handles? I've got one on order and have read where two people said that it couldn't be done.

I have an 87' 70hp yamaha I'm trying to do the same thing too... Every place I've called around here says they can get the tiller handle but the conversion kit is discontinued and they CAN NOT get them anymore. I can't get Jaime at tidewater on the phone as posted early to ask him... Any suggestions from yall would be greatly appreciated!