Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha Tiller Handle Upgrade

Tilt and trim in handle can be done but you have to be creative. But 96-02 can be done easy. It long handle with shifter midway

There is no way to "just flip the gear on the left over to the right" on these new style tillers.

I wish I had taken pictures of the steps I took to make mine work. I could sell them left and right for all the questions I've gotten about it.

Give me a shout if you can't work it out and I'll do what I can to get you going.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

There is two ways that I can see to fix my same situation (1993 55hp Yamaha new style tiller conversion).

Option 1 is to get a longer throttle cable from the tiller handle that is long enough to flip orientation inside the motor cowling that when the throttle on the tiller handle pushes the throttle cable that it actually pushes the carb lever mechanism towards the front of the motor. This moves the carb lever in the same direction as factory designed. The only “catch” here is that you have to mount an additional throttle cable clamp bracket towards the back of the motor so that the cable is locked in place and does not move freely around inside the motor cowling. Not the easiest task but if you know someone who is good at machining, the bracket that comes factory with my motor (and most likely the majority of early 2 strokes) can be custom made. The 2nd part of this is extending the carb lever pin vertically so that the cable can be clipped in/ attached to the lever mechanism in the same horizontal plane. This can be done with a metal tube and tapping screw.

The other and much less complicated method is to just run the throttle reverse of the normal method. Aka twist the throttle away from you if you run the tiller with your left hand. Only situation on the new style tiller that I have found is that there is a mechanical tab on the throttle shaft that is held on by an Allen set screw which does not let the shift lever move when the throttle is twisted to “full throttle”. Since you will be using the twist throttle completely opposite of design, the tiller handle thinks you are giving the motor full throttle and will physically not let you shift out of neutral. With this tab removed the motor will shift when the throttle is in the “full throttle position” even though in reality, the motor is at idle.

Not sure if anyone else has done either option, but those are the two options a buddy and I have come up with.

welcome to the site and good luck in your quest, Capt
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

lol

what the hell?

Image-2.jpg
    20180423_170502.jpg
    Image-1(1).jpg
    Call Kent Foreman or Cuz outboards and see if they have one of the parts pictured above. Easy install and works great but finding the part is the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    lol

what the hell?
    i know, right???

FWIW, I've stopped trying to figure this place out....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Default Think my problems are solved

Grebe,

I am new to this conversation, but i believe i need that part as well. I have a 91 70 hp Yamaha, and i am doing the same thing. Ordering the tiller handle with appropriate linkage package, And i believe that part is what i'm going to need as well. Would that be the same for mine as on the 50 you are talking about?