Thread: Tents

Default Tents

Looking to get a decent tent. Been using a cheap tent that has actually held up decent. Just started doing a little bit of camping. Looking for something small and light, usually by myself and backpacking in. Needs to be waterproof and able to stand up to wind. Been looking around and reading reviews on some. Just not sure what im looking at and what the difference is from a $150 to $400 to a $800 tent. The reviews all seem the same.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I have an MSR Reflex.

It's tiny, light, well made and easy to set up.

I am a firm believer in, "you get what you pay for"......especially with tents. If you think you might need more room for the times you get to pack a lot of shit buy the optional gear shed. It attaches to side of the tent and will allow you to keep your stuff under it.

ETA:

If you are interested in the differences of the different priced tents do this.........go to the Backpacker/Mast General/Half-Moon, etc.....and look at what they sell. Then go to Sportsmans Warehouse and compare them to Coleman or other less expensive brands of tents. the difference in the sewing, material, pole material, stake quality, etc. will be very, very obvious.

Picture with the Gear Shed for car camping:

Last edited by Chessbay; 05-04-2015 at 04:40 PM.

I have a Kelty Salida 2. Been out with it a few times and no complaints so far. Seems like a pretty good balance of price/weight/quality.

I went with a Marmot Halo 6p for a family tent, I know it's not light or small but the point is you get what you pay for. Full rain fly is a must. I was camping with another family in a monsoon and they had to get in their when their car when their Coleman leaked. Not a drop entered ours.
    Check out Backcountry Edge.com, they have excellent customer service and have their own reviews. Right now if you sign up for their newsletter you get %20 off any full priced item and some items have free shipping. Check out the Marmot Limelight.

I used a MSR when I was in New Mexico. I liked it
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Cheap means wet and miserable. Kelty, MSR, mtn. Hardware, etc are well worth the coin. They all make a multi person tent also. As apposed to just backpacking tents.

I've been using the same cheap coleman since high school. It's been through a lot of shit and nothing has broke. It leaks like a bitch when it rains. Spend your money on a nice pad, or cot. Just my opinion.

I bought a Cabelas XPG two man tent for hiking/camping. Mine is a few years old, but I think it is lighter than the new ones. They had it on sale once for $249. It has never leaked and if you buy the footprint, it makes it easy to keep the bottom dry. Luckily for me, the waterproof bottom comes up about 5 inches like a tub. I once put my tent up in a mini flood zone. It is perfect size for myself and my gear. Two people can use it, but not much extra room.

I also use an ENO hammock and rain fly to hike/camp. It depends on what kind of mood I am in as to which one I take. It might be something you might want to check out.

Bought a Kelty 2-man tent (Vapor, I think) about 10 years ago. Last trip, I noticed the floor and rain flap were delaminating. Called Kelty when I got back, they said send it in. I did, and about 2 weeks later, got a call from them. Not repairable. Credited me the full amount I paid towards any tent I wanted. Went with the Kelty TN3. Made in the USA, world-class customer service. 2 doors, one on each side makes getting in or out a breeze. Lightweight, easily sets up in about 3 minutes. Well thought out, lots of mesh for breathability, easy to deploy rain fly. 3 man not much heavier than 2 man, and really easy to fit 2 adults and gear inside.

Tents are not a place to go cheap. As mentioned, you get what you pay for.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Apache instant tent .....very nice and easy to handle by yourself

Keep an eye on steep and cheap. They run specials a good bit on tents.

I've got a Sierra Designs 2 man 3 season and an Alps Mountaineering 4 man 3 season. Both have a full rain fly and have never leaked. I've been camping in some nasty storms and never had a problem with wind or rain. Both were in the $200 range. There are better options out there (size, weight, etc) but I've been very happy when compared to old coleman and off brand tents over the years. You really do get what you pay for with a tent. Spend the money up front so you're not miserable in the woods during a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk