Thread: Using 'Automatic' PFD's?

Default Using 'Automatic' PFD's?

Do any of you who fly fish using an 'automatic' PFD? I'm thinking about getting one instead of the manual waist belt PFD I've used over the years just as an extra precaution at my wife's request.

What I'm not sure of is if because they are apparently so sensitive to getting damp/wet, whether any spray from rapids, etc, might tend to set them off when you don't want them to.

What say ye'? Are the automatic PFD's more trouble than they're worth... or worth their weight in gold... be it on the stream or in a boat?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have a few of them, mine are not overly sensitive to getting wet. If you leave them wet in a humid compartment, they will go off though. I just don't know how comfortable it would be fly fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ruffin74 View Post
    I have a few of them, mine are not overly sensitive to getting wet. If you leave them wet in a humid compartment, they will go off though. I just don't know how comfortable it would be fly fishing
    That's good to hear about the 'not overly sensitive' part. I've heard about the 'humid compartment, etc' and thought I might store it in a waterproof bag or a vac-pak. And you've answered my unanswered question about comfort.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'