Thread: Guy de la Valdene

Default Guy de la Valdene

Has anyone else gotten into his work? I can't get enough of his writing.

"the Fragrence of Grass" and "On the Water" have quickly become two of my favorite books to me the prose rivals that of other more contemporary American literary greats.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

"A handful of feathers " is a wonderful book if you are a bird hunter.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have "Making Game: An Essay on Woodcock" from back when I was going through my woodcock stage.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I re- read " For a Handful of Feathers" again this week. Probably the 20th time since he wrote it in 1995. It still is, in my opinion as good a Sporting book as ever put into print.

A memorable passage - " As a hunter I mourn the decline of the habitat and the behavior of my peers; as a human being I mourn the poisoning of the earth; as a Father I mourn the disappearance of many feathered things; and as an ill tempered recluse, I mourn the passing of the pillory. "

" Insofar as the future of the blood sports is concerned, I have this nagging feeling that killing for the motives I have killed for will seem as barbaric to the generations that follow as the behavior of market hunters and number hunters seem to me."

He is still living on the 800 acre farm he bought in 1991 near Tallahassee, FL for the purpose of learning about, raising, hunting and eating quail. Nearly 75 years old now, he has had some loss on his life.. his daughter Valerie died in the Galapagos Islands either murdered or suicide. the evidence is not clear. This loss has clearly impacted him and I am told he is in failing health. If you haven't read a book by Valdene, you are missing out.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I re- read " For a Handful of Feathers" again this week. Probably the 20th time since he wrote it in 1995. It still is, in my opinion as good a Sporting book as ever put into print.

A memorable passage - " As a hunter I mourn the decline of the habitat and the behavior of my peers; as a human being I mourn the poisoning of the earth; as a Father I mourn the disappearance of many feathered things; and as an ill tempered recluse, I mourn the passing of the pillory. "

" Insofar as the future of the blood sports is concerned, I have this nagging feeling that killing for the motives I have killed for will seem as barbaric to the generations that follow as the behavior of market hunters and number hunters seem to me."

He is still living on the 800 acre farm he bought in 1991 near Tallahassee, FL for the purpose of learning about, raising, hunting and eating quail. Nearly 75 years old now, he has had some loss on his life.. his daughter Valerie died in the Galapagos Islands either murdered or suicide. the evidence is not clear. This loss has clearly impacted him and I am told he is in failing health. If you haven't read a book by Valdene, you are missing out.
    "On the water" - is about that said Tallahassee farm . Still one of my favorite books.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Didn't he have a son Jason that sang bro country music?

Name shortened for brevitie's sake??

I don't think the De La Valdene's are lacking for cash.. his daughter just flitted from place to place on the Heiress's budget..

They have old French aristocrat money.. Sheiit, Guy is a real Duke of some sort.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sad end to Guy's daughter's life..

Worth reading.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...le4827450.html
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Just saw he passed away a few weeks ago.

For a Handful of Feathers is one of my favorites.

I saw that , but didn't write a note here. 79 years old.

Damn tough loss. Parkinson's sucks.

Amazon sells DVDs of the movie he directed and produced in 1973. "Tarpon" . It's worth buying.

Men of his kind are fewer and fewer.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I don't think his daughter's head was ever returned to the family for proper interment.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.